Researching what fish to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FishStarter89

Aquarium Advice Regular
This is for my first tank. It's going to be a 29 gallon planted. I was considering cichlids. Is that a good idea or not? And if so do they require any kind of different fishless cycling?

Fishless cycling is the same regardless of what type of fish you intend to get. If you want cichlids, do some research, as they're a little more difficult to keep in a planted tank without them tearing it all up, but it is possible and quite common, you just may want to be a bit selective as to what cichlids you opt to get.

If you want cichlids, do some research, as they're a little more difficult to keep in a planted tank without them tearing it all up, but it is possible and quite common, you just may want to be a bit selective as to what cichlids you opt to get.

This may be true for most African cichlids but some Africans like Kribs and shellies would be fine with plants. Not to mention discus, angels, GBR's, and Bolivian rams which are all cichlids from South Ameria that would do exceptionally well in a planted tank.

if you get cichlids then you must be very careful. they are very fragile. they need to be kept at exactly 80 degrees, not a degree more or they will die. also you cant put in any other type of fish or the cihlids will kill them.

if you get cichlids then you must be very careful. they are very fragile. they need to be kept at exactly 80 degrees, not a degree more or they will die. also you cant put in any other type of fish or the cihlids will kill them.

Im not sure where you get this info from fishfan. I find cichlids can be quite hearty. They dont need to be kept in exactly 80 degree water. Almost any and all fish can be acclimated to a certain temperate (within reason) if done properly and done smartley. I have bolivian rams in my community tank set at 83.5* and they are doing extremely well.

As for wanting to keep cichlids with a planted tank I would agree that bolivian rams and German blue rams are easily kept in a planted aquaria. In my opinion are also probably some of the best looking cichlids to boot.

i had some cichlids once. i changed the water temp and they died. but that might have also been that they ate the plants i put in, roots and everything.

I also don't think this is an accurate statement. "Cichlids", if you are referring to Africans can tolerate temps in the mid to upper 80's. As already mentioned they can be acclimated to certain temps. Cichlids are generally hardy fish if their natural habitats are perfectly recreated. This means that discus for example could do well with water temps in the upper 80's. In fact, some keep them at 90-92. I had my tank at 92 for severl weeks this summer to treat for intestinal flagellates and all of my discus, angels, neons, and BN plecos made it through just fine. Keep in mind that with higher temps comes a higher metabolism meaning that the fish should be fed more to meet their nutritional requirements due to more physical activity.

I have a cichlid tank, partially planted.
I have 7 Lake Malawi cichlids, 3 yellow labs, 2 red zebra and 2 snow white socolofi.
They all like to excavate but limit the excavations to the internal areas of tank decorations that they claimed as their own, they are territorial toward each other.
They don't bother the plants, aside from eating a few leafs here and there, but I am sure if I had more plants they would probably disturb the roots from their excavating.
The cichlids I have are very hardy and not effected by temp changes. I keep the tank at about 78 deg but have had it in the mid 80s once when treating Ich.

Back
Top Bottom