restart 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xtwister

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had this tank for around 15 years.
It was a fully planted tank and ran well for the first couple of years
until I lost control of it due to black hair algae.
I battled it but lost. All the plants eventually died.
I continued to battle the black hair algae but on a lower level.

7 years ago I stopped adding any fish (maybe had around 10 smaller ones mostly tetras) Last one expired last week.

So I started cleaning by removing around 2 small pails of gravel since it occupied around 20% of the tank (due to the plants)
Boiled the stones and decorations.
Pythoned the water around 5 times since the remaining gravel was dirty.
Cleaned the filters.
Cycled the water with tap water maybe another 3 times with cold tap water.
I guess I was trying to kill all bacteria life out of it to start fresh.

What else should I do? I'll run the tank for 6 weeks or so before adding anything.

I'm thinking this time to go with medium size... maybe cichlids.
Its a 55g with aquaclear 300, fluval 204. florescent lighting.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20151210_224956 (1).jpg
    IMG_20151210_224956 (1).jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 72
When you cycled your tank with cold water, did you add a source of ammonia to the water? Or did you just add cold Water and let the tank sit?

Sent via echolocation

Are you thinking tropical but no plants it sounds? And settled on cichlids?

yes. and havent really decided yet.

When you cycled your tank with cold water, did you add a source of ammonia to the water? Or did you just add cold Water and let the tank sit?

I just did it a few days ago. i added some fish food for ammonia source. Its still needs to go through 6 weeks.

yes. and havent really decided yet.

I just did it a few days ago. i added some fish food for ammonia source. Its still needs to go through 6 weeks.

Why does it need 6 weeks? Just wondering, and if your thinking about cichlids, are looking into Africans or Americans?

Sent via echolocation

It isn't time so much as parameters. The timeframe is simply a guideline. If you have sufficient starter bb colonies, the tank could be cycled in a week. That'd likely be a case where substrate and filter media came from a similarly sized or larger tank.

The filters were cleaned by rinsing them out. I replaced the charcoal with new. There was still be some life in the sponges but I doubt it since I did 100% water changes around 5 times with cold tap water. I wanted to kill all the algae and bad bacteria.
I can wait since I'm going on vac anyways so I have the time to cycle it.

Back
Top Bottom