Restarting 10 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

noelllll

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello all!

EDIT: didn't realize I wrote a novel..
TL;DR: Need lighting advice for 10G planted rimless tank

I currently have a 10G tank and have been wanting to change it up for a while now, mainly because when I first got it I was pretty broke so I wasn't able to get it how I envisioned. Now that I'm able to get everything I need, I think I'm ready to start.

I've been doing a bit of research over the past couple days and I'm going to be trying an Iwagumi style aquascape. I would also like to remove the top plastic rim and also possibly leave the top open without a hood. The whole rimless thing I'm assuming would render my AquaClear HOB filter useless, so after some searching I think I'll be getting a Finnex PX-360 canister filter. If anyone has any experience with this brand or model I would love some input just to be sure it's the best I can get without getting too pricey.

Now, where I'm having some trouble is deciding what to do about the lighting situation. I really didn't think I'd have to spend over $100 on lights, but it's looking very much like I might have to.. Although I did find a product on Ebay called "Aquarium LED 18" Beamswork Light Freshwater Tropical Fish Hi Lumen Light" which is a lot cheaper than anything else like it. But I'm not exactly sure that it'll be good enough to grow the plants..

So yeah, right now I'm really stuck on what to do about lighting.. I really need some guidance here. I really don't know much about the technical terms of the lights and all that (colours??, WATTS?, 6500K 7000K 10000K???). I'm also open to alternatives, such as possibly light bulbs or fluorescent or anything else..

Also, if it helps I am able to hang the lights on top of the tank if that's best. I can post a picture of what it looks like now, but I think that's pretty irrelevant, however if you'd like to see just ask and I'll put one up when I get home :)

Finally, I will very likely be updating this thread as I go along. Hope that someone will find it useful some day!

Thank you very much! :thanks:

Consider your stocking before purchasing lighting. Some fish hate bright light. Some plants need it.

Well, I don't know exactly what type of plants it will be, but I will be aiming for medium-light plants probably. I'm thinking the ground will be primarily Hairgrass, or something similar.

As for stocking, I plan on keeping it very basic ( max # of schooling fish allowed ). Probably Neon Tetras.

A very big MAYBE on some shrimp if the tank needs the benefits they bring and they can sustain the conditions..

I'd do 6 neon tetras, 2 peppered cory cats, and 3 ghost or amano shrimp for livestock

You should do more corys, as they're a shoaling fish. Six is the number that most recommend. You could also stand to add a couple more Neons. They're small and produce little bioload.

You should do more corys, as they're a shoaling fish. Six is the number that most recommend. You could also stand to add a couple more Neons. They're small and produce little bioload.

+1 You'll see more activity from the corys in a larger group.

To be honest guys I'm not really looking for a very active tank specifically.

I was reading about Iwugami aquascapes and came across this little quote here:

When selecting fish, you want to emphasise simplicity, harmony, and unity between the fauna and the aquascape. You are looking for a meditative effect, not excitement.

That pretty much sums up the feel I'm going for. A peaceful kind of thing.

The article goes on to suggest a schooling species of fish, not shoaling. The recommended kinds are Cardinal tetras, Rummy nose tetras, or Harlequin rasboras.

But really this is something I won't be dealing with for a little while now. I still need to get the tank set up first! :lol:

A pair of cherry barbs would also be nice and add good color.

If you look into iwagumi scapes, you'll almost never find corycats or barbs. The reason: barbs can me aggressive from time to time, and they are a pretty active fish overall. Corycats tend to dig into the substrate and uproot the plants in the scape. I have seen scapes with pygmy corydoras though, since the tend to swim mid-level.

A good choice of peacefull and schooling fish would be: cardinals, harlequin rasboras (any type of rasbora actually), and maybe some red phantom tetras.

As for your maintenance crew: I would suggest otocinclus' and shrimp. Pleco's/ancistrus' are a big no-no. You could get away with an SAE, but keep in mind that they grow quite large en will turn the scape off-balance. :)

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Oh I didn't see that it was a 10g, never mind the SAE, they get waaaay too big.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

The article goes on to suggest a schooling species of fish, not shoaling. The recommended kinds are Cardinal tetras, Rummy nose tetras, or Harlequin rasboras.

The fish that you listed above are shoaling species, not schooling.

Corycats tend to dig into the substrate and uproot the plants in the scape.

Corys do not dig up plants.

HEy

First update!

Finished taking off the top trim. Well, mostly.. still need to peel off the silicone, but the plastics all off :)

There is a small chip in one of the corners, though.. It's at the very top and it's pretty small. I'm thinking maybe I could just put some silicone on there or just leave it be. Going to be filling it with water when I'm done and leave it for a couple days just to be sure though.

Also, I picked up a couple aluminium reflectors for the lights and black spray paint for the lights and back of the tank.

Attachments

• IMG_20141231_170234.jpg
    IMG_20141231_170234.jpg
    190.8 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_20141231_205212.jpg
    IMG_20141231_205212.jpg
    202.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20141231_205225.jpg
    IMG_20141231_205225.jpg
    147.2 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20141231_210628.jpg
    IMG_20141231_210628.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 51
Well, finished taking off all the silicone. Here it is now sitting in a sink filled with water.

Doesn't seem like there's any problems with the chip.

Attachments

• IMG_20150101_123330.jpg
    IMG_20150101_123330.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_20150101_123354.jpg
    IMG_20150101_123354.jpg
    146.6 KB · Views: 46
Hey all !

Update 2

I finished removing all of the silicone and I painted the back of the tank and the lights, both black.

I also ordered some stones (Seiryu) and a filter (Finnex PX-360) from ebay and they are both expected to be here by the end of the week. :D

In the meantime, though, I have a bit of an issue with the back of the tank. Every time I paint the back there are these tiny little spots that the paint just doesn't go to.. and when I shine a light it's pretty clear they're there. Not sure why, maybe because I didn't clean the glass good enough before I paint? So I think I'm going to sand those spots down and try to repaint. But if anyone has had this before or has any better ideas let me know (y)

Only have a couple picture because I haven't really been able to do much so far. In the next couple days I'll be figuring out the best way to mount these lights on top of the tank.. Will post pictures when that's good !

( PS: tank looks like that because of the cold, they're not scratches :lol: )

Attachments

• IMG_20150105_155019.jpg
    IMG_20150105_155019.jpg
    252.9 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20150105_163032 (1).jpg
    IMG_20150105_163032 (1).jpg
    196.8 KB · Views: 56
Update 3!

Just a couple pictures again. I drilled a couple holes in the shelf above the tank for the lights to go into. Here you'll see what the set up will look like with lights on/off. ( Lights are crooked right now, I still need to figure out how I will be keeping them straight )

Also, the filter and stones came in and I bought some eco-complete for the substrate and a Fluval CO2 setup. I ordered a couple plants from my LFS ( Baby Dwarf Tears [foreground] and Drawf Hairgrass [mid] ). Not sure what I'll go with for the background, open to suggestions, or I'll just choose something they have in stock when the order comes in..

So yeah, that's all for now :) I'll be playing around with the stones trying to find the best way to lay them out for now until the plants come in.

Side note: if you look at the pictures you'll notice along the top of the tank there's about 1/2" where it's a different color. It's because of the trim, but when I look at it up close there's nothing there it's just clear glass. It only shows up under bright lights. Anyone know how to get rid of this or if I'll just have to live with it ( which is fine )?

Thanks! (y)

Attachments

• IMG_20150108_214215.jpg
    IMG_20150108_214215.jpg
    208.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_20150108_214350.jpg
    IMG_20150108_214350.jpg
    242.3 KB · Views: 52
The current rock set up, subject to change ! :)

( There's one in the back right that you can't really see from this pic )

Attachments

• IMG_20150109_233807.jpg
    IMG_20150109_233807.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 51
Hey all !

Not sure if anyone is following this but I'll update anyways..

Been at a stand still for the past month+ because I've been waiting for plants to come in, which felt like forever !! :lol:

Anyways, they're here now and it's all set up :D

Here are a couple pics of what it looks like now, will update with plant growth if there's any interest.

Cheers ! :dance:

Attachments

• IMG_20150224_172745.jpg
    IMG_20150224_172745.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20150224_172750.jpg
    IMG_20150224_172750.jpg
    233 KB · Views: 39
Hey all !

Not sure if anyone is following this but I'll update anyways..

Been at a stand still for the past month+ because I've been waiting for plants to come in, which felt like forever !! :lol:

Anyways, they're here now and it's all set up :D

Here are a couple pics of what it looks like now, will update with plant growth if there's any interest.

Cheers ! :dance:

Looks good! Where are you getting the plants from?

Back
Top Bottom