Restarting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.25ish Nitrite rise since adding the fish. No lost fish yet. Not really happy since I considered myself to have been over cautious. I can't do anything tonight, but if I get the same result tomorrow I assume the best bet is a PWC?

Edit: Actually, after 10 minutes I'm down to the light blue (0 Nitrite). Should it take this long? I assume all your tests start in the purplish area then go down within the 5 min test time.

Possible disaster about to occur. Nitrite tests aren't going powder blue even after 10-20 minutes. Can plants suck all the Nitrate out that would cause this rise in Nitrites?

Doing immediate PWC.

Please help.

Plants, if they're consuming nitrogen byproducts, will consume them all (ammonia, trite and trate), not just the 'trates.

I don't understand the 10-20 minute comment. The test only takes 5 minutes to develop, waiting longer to get the answer you want isn't going to help.

If your levels get above .5 I would do a PWC. Odd that you're seeing anything though, I agree.

10-20 minute nitrite test comment came from the cycle moving along as I expected. Early on it would stay the deep purple for hours, later it was going to the powder blue (0) in 5 min, then longer than 5 min. Now I'm back to stuck on purple.

50% change tonight. But I think I need a new test kit more than anything, need to find that thread with the AP test kit expiration dates. I'm getting 2.5+ years old on the Nitrite bottle which I thought was within expiration (but admittedly on the late end.)

I think it will be fine, but I want to error on the side of caution. Still no fish lost. Though it is tough to find all 6 Ottos, those mofo's blend in & hide well.

Back
Top Bottom