Restocking 55 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Skeeter4158098

Aquarium Advice Activist
So I had....

5 serpaes
5 highfin black skirts
5 x-ray
5 bloodfins

And wanted to get two angelfish to be named after my parents who passed away 5 years ago. Well my lfs finally got some long veiled angelfish. So gave in to impulse and got two. One tgat had actually been there for a week about the size of a 50 cent piece yellow and white. And then one black and white and silver that came in that day about the size of a quarter. Well talked about my black skirts and serpaes as they are the bullys of the tank. They told me if they are to bad then I could bring them in and get credit. So took the two home on Friday plopped them in and sunday the small one was missing so checked around he was dead. so went to lfs on monday got the other big yellow and white one and brought him home as soon as I put him in the serpaes and black skirts wouldnt leave the two of them alone so. I bagged the serpaes and black skirts up and traded them in. So now I have .......

5 x-ray
5 blood fins
2 long veiled angels

I am waiting to save up so I can get a bulldog pleco(rubber nose pleco I guess they are also called) and 2 small pieces of drift wood. Then I want to increase my X-ray and blood fins to 8 or 10. My question is what is another calm fish that I could put in with my angelfish. I heard runny nose tetras are very timmid? I have also heard x-ray tetras are supposed to be fin nippers but my X-ray and blood fins are actually getting along with the angels well. Haven't seen any more bullying and all my fish are out and swimming around more now as well.

ForumRunner_20120725_144144.jpg

I love those angels. I have gold barbs with mine and they do fine for now. But I have read that the angels might eat them once they get big enough. But hey.

Maybe a couple of otos....

Or three of the smaller rainbow fish.

You could also a glass catfish would be cool too

calfishguy said:
Those would work. But all you have are small fish don't you want something to fill up your large 55.

Yes mostly just want schooling fish in the range of 5-10 in a school. So like 4 to 5 schools. 2 angels and a pleco. Was looking at do jo loaches and silver tipped sharks along with ghost fish clown loaches and also corrys and ottos and have gave up on many of those either because they need brakish water get to big expensive or can be to mean.

Skeeter4158098 said:
Yes mostly just want schooling fish in the range of 5-10 in a school. So like 4 to 5 schools. 2 angels and a pleco. Was looking at do jo loaches and silver tipped sharks along with ghost fish clown loaches and also corrys and ottos and have gave up on many of those either because they need brakish water get to big expensive or can be to mean.

Are you saying otos get too big/mean?

Also there are several species of dwarf cory that work as well

bigbanker said:
Are you saying otos get too big/mean?

Also there are several species of dwarf cory that work as well

No with otos and corys. One I was looking at to help with my diatoms. And heard I would need like 10 if not more to help with a 55 gallon tank.

Skeeter4158098 said:
No with otos and corys. One I was looking at to help with my diatoms. And heard I would need like 10 if not more to help with a 55 gallon tank.

I'd have to disagree with that one. I've got four in a 95g and I worry about them starving. They are voracious eaters.

bigbanker said:
I'd have to disagree with that one. I've got four in a 95g and I worry about them starving. They are voracious eaters.

Well i keep getting ottos and corys mixed up. Which ever one eats alge and diatoms i was told i would need like 10-20 or more for a 55 gallon tank so thats why i went away from not getting them. Because I want fish fish. Lol. Not just xray and bloodfins angel fish and a pleco then a whole bunch of ottos. Maybe 3 or something but not 10-20 they were saying.

Skeeter4158098 said:
Well i keep getting ottos and corys mixed up. Which ever one eats alge and diatoms i was told i would need like 10-20 or more for a 55 gallon tank so thats why i went away from not getting them. Because I want fish fish. Lol. Not just xray and bloodfins angel fish and a pleco then a whole bunch of ottos. Maybe 3 or something but not 10-20 they were saying.

I know for a fact that otos eat diatoms. Lol yeh that would be odd. Honestly three or four would be fine in a 55. I've got four in my 95. Did you look at rainbows

bigbanker said:
I know for a fact that otos eat diatoms. Lol yeh that would be odd. Honestly three or four would be fine in a 55. I've got four in my 95. Did you look at rainbows

Well with ottos I tried starting a couple of threads looking for help with diatoms it. And all I would get is yes it's diatoms and no there is nothing to do no ottos wont eat it and if they do then you have to get rid of them after its gone of you go and look at my other threads. I even tried helping some one else out on there thread and even they got denied any resanoble info. Yes i looked up rainbows my petco carrys the ones that start with a b? Bosmania? Rainbows I think? The web page you sent me shows a bunch of different ones. How many would be a good size school?

http://aqadvisor.com/AqAdvisor.php?...peciesWindowSize=short&AqSearchMode=advanced&

I don't know if this link will work or not. If it does. My question is I have my tank at 80 degrees temp it says fish not compatible with the same temps. But 80 is in between all of them so I should be ok right? And I know its not a perfect tool but it does give a base line as far as what to look for when stocking a tank I have heard.

Back
Top Bottom