Reverse UGF + Canister ok with discus?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The Editor

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey all!

Me and the GF are looking at setting up a new tank, currently we have a small 30L tank with a few guppies (and ramshorns that hitched a ride on the plants!) but have a 36"X12"X15" (around 100L) which has been sat fish-less cycling for a few months.

The larger tank is ready to house it's first guests, but we've just noticed another larger tank for sale locally. It's 36"x12"x28", the same footprint but almost double the height. This is a bonus as she loves discus and I was having a hard time convincing her the tank we had wasn't deep enough. However this new larger tank comes with a load of accessories including a Fluval 203 canister and a new UGF tray and powerhead.

I'm not mad keen on using UGF as primary filtration, but I've read about people popping the canister return line in the riser pipe for the UGF tray so it works backwards.

Has anyone got experience of reverse UGF, and would you think this a suitable method of filtration for discus? I'd swipe the media from the Fluval U3 that's been cycled and dump it in the canister so I shouldn't lose too much of the bacteria in the change over, could start it straight off with a school of cardinals or maybe some gourami...

Secondly what experience have people got growing plants with UGF? At the moment we have sand substrate, not ideal as it packs too tightly for most plants, but the R-UGF would fluidize the bed to some degree..

So yea just looking for some opinions...

Back
Top Bottom