Review my tank test results

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chriznat20

Aquarium Advice Freak
Last week, I shut down my 29g tank, transferred over ALL of the plants and decorations and my bio-wheel filter to my new 46 bow front.

I also took a cup of gravel from the old tank, and set it in the corner of the new one so bacteria could seed the new sand bed.

I tested the water yesterday and today and am kind of confused...

My ammonia was around .25, nitrites were 0 and nitrates were about .20

By using my very established power filter (Penguin 200b) that I transferred over to the new tank, all of the plants from the old (established) tank, and a cup of gravel - did I skip one of the cycles? I always thought if a tank was cycled, you'd get almost no ammonia, some nitrites, and end up with nitrates as the end result. But I have 0 nitrites and a little ammonia? Help me wrap my head around this...

Your tank is pretty much instantly cycled... if you moved everything over its pretty much like u did a massive water change cause the BB doesn't live in the water only on surfaces but for the ammonia I'd say just give it a few days cause now your BB has almost twice the water to filter through..after that you should be back to normal

Your tank is pretty much instantly cycled... if you moved everything over its pretty much like u did a massive water change cause the BB doesn't live in the water only on surfaces but for the ammonia I'd say just give it a few days cause now your BB has almost twice the water to filter through

Ok thanks.

I was getting panicky...I do NOT want to go through cycling again!! A mini-cycle is ok.. but not a big one.

So is that why I have no nitrites, some nitrates (because the nitrite bacteria is converting to nitrate effectively) but I have a little ammonia in the tank because that BB isnt well established yet converting ammonia?

Yes, you have a bit of a mini-cycle happening with the transfer. Just keep an eye on everything (and do pwcs as needed) and everything should settle down once your bb establish themselves through out the new tank & new substrate. No reason to panic! :)

Back
Top Bottom