River Pea Gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sangusjr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all, I have the small river pea gravel I got at HD. Did wash it super clean as is suggested and it's my aquarium base.

Thing is I wanted to add a few Cory cats and some ghost shrimps to do a clean up job on the base strata. Trouble is I think in all my reading, I saw it suggested that all gravel can cause problems for ghost shrimps and Cory cats, too rough on their feelers/tentacles ??

Can anyone provide some guidance. Any suggestions on bottom feeders.
Thanks.

Art.:banghead::fish2:

Pull it out? The other problem with pea gravel is that you do now know the minerals in there and some are not fish/invert friendly in addition to the sharp edges. Quartz Pool filter sand is cheap and everyone on the bottom will be happy.

Hi TMaier, sorry took couple days to respond. Like you suggest, i did think about removing the river pea, got 'em in 2 tanks. thing is i am probably going to do the aquaponics thing, and i do have a lot of the pea.

actually they're surprisingly smooth, especially with the bacteria build up in a cycled tank. i also have red lava rocks in both tanks, those too smoothed out......both these substrates are to be used to seed the aquaponics system.

I have decided to forego the corycats, expensive and too delicate, and the ghost shrimps, a meal for the fishes...both aren't practical for me as a beginner.

I added 4 danios and 2 sunburst platies to the 20 gal about 4 hours ago. Was pleasantly surprised to see the platies scavenging thru the gravel for the food that fell. all 6 settled in real well, as if they were always there. Ii's a real joy to have them...they're all so busy...

Thanks for your comments. Art.

Great to hear it! There has got to be some sort of bottom feeder/dweller that prefers a rocky bottom. I haven't read about any but there must be. I have Khuli's and again, they like soft sand.

Back
Top Bottom