RO or DI system Pros and Cons?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imcgary

Aquarium Advice Regular
I am thinking about getting a Ro system because my water is fairly hard thus my PH stays around 7.5/ the majority of the fish i keep have a target PH of around 6.5- 7.

1 what all is required when using a RO system
2. what is a good brand to get
3. will i need to add anything back into the water.
4. is there another option besides RO or DI

1 what all is required when using a RO system
Just a water supply and the filter itself.Mine is hooked up under the sink.
2. what is a good brand to get
I'll edit in a link to the one I have..110g/day...cost $124 shipped.My total dissolved solids are 65ppm out of the tap.TDS after the filter are 0.it is both RO and DI though
Not for the fish...may have to dose ferts for plants though,I'm not quite sure though.
4. is there another option besides RO or DI
You could buy distilled....but even as cheap as it is, your own unit wil pay for itself over time...especially if its a large tank.

Edit:Heres the link (a link to the store can be found near the bottom):
http://cgi.ebay.com/AQUARIUM-2-110G...4QQihZ002QQcategoryZ20756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Whoops I missed the greater question here which is about ph range,even it wasn't asked.Your ph is fine.In your situation I would not spend money on a ro/di unit at all.A stable ph as much more important then an ideal one.As long as it doen't swing wildly between changes I would do nothing at all.Your fish will be fine.

Try mixing 50/50 with your tap water and then checking the "H's"-pH, GH, KH. If you go 100% RO/DI you will need to add either Kent RO Right or Seachem Equilibrium for GH and Baking soda for KH.

What are your current GH and KH?

Back
Top Bottom