Rock help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KKAY27

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm starting a 60 gal community, the tank is really tall so I would like to build up the sides with some kind of rock! I would like to get some at a garden or landscaping place! What rocks are safe??

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There are a few types of rocks that could be used in your tank.

Carbonate rocks (limestone, coral, calcareous sandstone, Texas Holey Rock, etc.) raise the pH and hardness of the tank water. So you want to keep in mind where you would like your water conditions to be at for your specific type of fishes you plan on keeping.

To find out if a rock is a carbonate rock (this test doesn't work 100% of the time, but about 90%) drop vinegar on the rock and seeing if it fizzes will identify it as a carbonate rock.

There is some special type of acid you can buy that has much higher readings then vinegar, vinegar has only 5% of the stuff in it and the stuff you can buy has like 38%. Im not sure what its called exactly but the reaction with vinegar can be hard to see.

I saw in a topic earlier another way to test, let water sit in a bowl or whatever for 24hrs and test the PH, then inset the rock and in another 24hrs test it again. i would probably try and find the stuff though or you can try with vinegar.

Back
Top Bottom