Rocks from the sea in freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

labpig

Aquarium Advice Activist
I found some nice rock on the seashore & brought them home. I've put them in a bucket of boiling water to sterilise them. How long do I need to steep them to leach the salt out of them, before they're ok for a freshwater tank?

Do I need to change the water in the bucket? Or just leave them steeping

Thanks !

It depends on the type of rock. The salt leeching isn't an issue rather the possible leeching of minerals from the rock can mess with your pH. Try pouring some vinegar on them and if they bubble then I'd take them back.

Oooo
Hadn't thought about that. I was only thinking about the salt

Thanks

Ok, so it's passed the bubble test. Do I still need to soak it?

Thanks

If you boiled it the rock should be fine. There won't be much salt leech at all off of rocks.

You're welcome! :) Will be expecting some pictures to be thrown out once everything is settled

I thought this bit of moorwood (shop bought) was a bit big for the tank. I'm going to take it out and replace it with the the rock I found. The rock is ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393691517.991513.jpgmuch smaller and will give more free space for swimming

Hey, thanks !
I've only got it 2 months, so I'm still playing around with it
I got a biorb at Christmas as my 1st ever tank, but it was a disaster. Far too small to work with.

Back
Top Bottom