Rocks/Stones

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If it doesn't have metallic veigns on it or anything that could leach metals or other stuff.

Boil it for a while then put some vinegar on it, if it bubbles, then forget it. then Stick it in some WC tank water leave it for a couple days and see if it changes your gh or kh or ph.

If not you should be fine

I got rocks from my friends creek, cleaned them and did the vinegar test. I haven't had any issues at all.

I got rocks from my friends creek, cleaned them and did the vinegar test. I haven't had any issues at all.

Yeah usualy as long as they don't look metal like its fine. But some times they give off calcium and stuff like that.

Don't boil rocks. That's one of the worst mistakes you can make. 9 times out of 10, nothing happens. That tenth time, it'll blow up... and if you're curious like me, it'll probably blow up in your face.

Vinegar isn't really a good way to check them either. If you have a pH that's above 7, you'll likely never experience any sort of increase due to the rock(s) buffering the water... especially if you're in the 7.6+ range. Even then, the amount of said rock will play a big factor. I

Don't boil rocks. That's one of the worst mistakes you can make. 9 times out of 10, nothing happens. That tenth time, it'll blow up... and if you're curious like me, it'll probably blow up in your face.

Vinegar isn't really a good way to check them either. If you have a pH that's above 7, you'll likely never experience any sort of increase due to the rock(s) buffering the water... especially if you're in the 7.6+ range. Even then, the amount of said rock will play a big factor. I

I scrubbed my rocks with really hot water for hours and hours on end. My pH was around 7.2-7.4 and I never experienced any pH issues at all. Hopefully OP has an easy experience like I did! I absolutely love how the rocks look in my tank, i think they really add to a tank especially when your going or a natural look. Adding the rocks, switching to sand and going with all live plants have got to be the best thing I've ever done with my tank and I'm 200% happy with the switches I made, my fish seem just as happy as well :)

The point if boiling rocks is to kill bacteria and vinegar is to see if its a porous stone meaning it was something like lime stone. I completely disagree with you.

And as for rock explosion I have never heard of some one being able to blow up a Rock with boiling water. It would have to be hollow or something.

And I don't see why you wouldn't test it on the off chance that it would leach.

vinegar is to tell if it's calcium based or not, which to my point, is completely valid. 7.8 is the point where calcium based substrates stop breaking down. Disagree with me if you want, but you can't disagree with science :)

Google rocks exploding because of boiling. You'll quickly stop recommending it.

vinegar is to tell if it's calcium based or not, which to my point, is completely valid. 7.8 is the point where calcium based substrates stop breaking down. Disagree with me if you want, but you can't disagree with science :)

Google rocks exploding because of boiling. You'll quickly stop recommending it.

Hmm I looked this up, I'd definitely tell people to be more aware if the density of the rock to insure no air pockets. People usually recommend the rock be very heavy when boiling.

Back
Top Bottom