Rodi for kids community tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanzegg

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello all.
I have a rodi unit for my saltwater aquarium kids are setting up a 30 gallon community tank. What additive is needed to get their water right Probably no plants just community fish. I have heard seachem replenish anyone here used this before.Thanks

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

It depends on what fish the kids plan on keeping. If they want tetras, they are fine in soft water. If they want guppies, you need to add minerals to get the GH up.

I used Aquasonic Rift Lake conditioner to increase the GH, KH and pH of my water. Depending on the fish I was keeping, would determine how hard I made the water. For rainbowfish I increased the GH to around 200ppm. For tetras I raised it to about 50ppm to stop the pH dropping. For the Rift Lake cichlids I took it up to 350ppm.

Fish do best with live plants. Ambulia, Hygrophila polysperma, H. rubra, narrow Vallis, and Water Sprite (Ceratopteris thalictroides/ cornuta) do well in most freshwater tanks. You don't need special plant substrates and can just have a light on for 10-12 hours a day, add a bit of liquid iron based aquarium plant fertiliser and see how they go.

Back
Top Bottom