ROOKIE!! Just bought a 10 gallon fish tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flames9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi all. Wife and I are complete rookies. We went out yesterday and bought a 10 gallon tank for tropical fish. We cleaned everything in warm water, and its running right now. Temp is set at 78F. We were told by the Petco people, not to add fish for 5 days. And when we come back they will test the water.

1. We are looking for tropical community fish, what would you recommend for us rookies? The store recommended mollies and tetras.... And how many should we buy at the first visit?

2. What type of water tester should we get?

3. We would like to get some algea cleaner type fish, but I would assume you wouldnt want to get them for a bit, until algea has actually started to grow in tank - right??

Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance. Scott

Hi Scott and Welcome to AA! You have a number of questions and each one will be addressed:

We were told by the Petco people, not to add fish for 5 days. And when we come back they will test the water.

This is usually where experienced folks have issues with fish store or LFS). You need to cycle your tank prior to adding the fish. Please read the nitrogen cycle in the Articles section for more info. Basically, the tank requires a number of nitrifying bacteria to keep your tank stable and not cause unnecessary fish deaths. This can take up to 4-6 weeks depending on the method you use. You should test your own water. Get yourself a test kit(s) for the following: Ammonia (NH3), Nitrite (NO2), Nitrate (NO3) and ph. It is best if you know exactly what is happening with your tank than waiting for the LFS to test it.

We are looking for tropical community fish, what would you recommend for us rookies? The store recommended mollies and tetras.... And how many should we buy at the first visit?

The recommended stocking formula is 1" of fish per gallon of water. With a 10g tank, you have room for 10" of fish. Since most tropical fish average 4" , this will limit the amount of fish you can have. This is another issue that LFS seem to ignore. If they had informed you of this, your choice of tank size may have been different.

We would like to get some algea cleaner type fish, but I would assume you wouldnt want to get them for a bit, until algea has actually started to grow in tank - right??

Absolutely correct. You cannot put any type of catfish in a tank until it has been established (fully cycled and running for some time). Otherwise, you can have problems.

Now some questions for you: What type of filter are you using? There have been cases where the LFS sold a goldfish type filter for tropical fish and these are completely different.

Would you consider getting a larger tank with this new information?

HTH

I posted this in your other post. I didn't realize you had started another one. lol

I don't understand why they want you to wait the five days then test your water. There is nothing in there to change the water. (fish waste or other source of ammonia)
A nice test kit that I use is Aquarium Pharmaceuticals master test kit. They sell it just about everywhere. It is a liquid test and much more accurate than the test trips.
As for a fish suggesting. Mollies are great if you don't mind the fact that they are live bearers and you may have an over abundance of offspring. Tetras are nice to and you could have a smaller school of the smaller tetras like gold tetras or neons. Another option would be maybe a dwarf gourami. They are colorful and you could get one as your main fish and work your tank around that. You have lots of options. liveaquaria.com is an online fish retailer but, they give some nice info on different fish. Browse their site for a bit. It will list what the fish needs including tank size to help you get an idea of what will fit your tank.
Also, yeah, I would hold off on the algae eater for a while.
Lastly, check out this sites articles section for ways to cycle your tank without fish. This will build up good bacteria and make your tank safe for your new fish. HTH

Here is the article on the nitrogen cycle.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Thanks for the info. We bought a complete 10 gallon tropical kit. Believe thew filter is charcoal? No, I wouldn't want a bigger tank, we live in an apartment. Some say to add ammonia to help out the cycle in a fishleess cycle? How much ammonia would one add?? Thanks again Scott

It's very important to know excatly what type of filter. Brand name will help. A typical goldfish tank filter is charcoal with some cotton. A tropical filter has charcoal and another type of media (sponge, floss, peat and what appears to be ceramic balls or tubes that are hollow.)

In regard to the ammonia, pure ammonia with no soaps or fragrances is needed. You would add enough to replicate the amount of fish waste produced normally. The test kit for ammonia would let you know how much you've added (usually just a few drops per day.).

Sorry you are limited in your space but the 10g can provide you with some interesting fish nevertheless.

Some say to add ammonia to help out the cycle in a fishleess cycle? How much ammonia would one add?? Thanks again Scott
In a ten gallon tank, using the ace hardware 10% ammonium economy cleaner, 0.34 ml gets you 1 ppm ammonia. No syringe? about 3 or 4 drops. let it circulate, test in 20 minutes.

There is another way to cycle the tank fishless by adding a raw shrimp and letting it decompose (my 10 gal took about a month), very easy.

Advantage, no need to do anything with it until the whole cycle is done (apart from testing your water for ammonia and nitrite every once in a while, so you know where you are in the cycle and how much longer it will be before you can celebrate.

I have platies, guppies (both livebearers), glowlight tetras, and an otocinclus (algae-eater). I will try to exchange my cory albino (bottom feeder) for 3 pygmy.

Hi. The Filter is a TOP FIN Power filter 10 with 3 way filtration (mechanical, chemical and biological) Came all as a tripocical kit. I may have done a stupid thing. Went out to store and and got talked into buying "Cycle" Is that good or bad.

We just tested our water, PH was around 7.5, ammonia at 0, nitrate was at 0 and nitrite at 0. Anys uggestions? Thanks all Scott

I have no experience with Cycle but, from what I understand, it is not worth the money. What type of test kit are you using? I would urge you to try a different method of cycling. Like the addition of liquid ammonia or the cocktail shrimp. It will take longer but, these are tested, proven methods.

Cycle is really a shot in the dark. It's supposed to contain "live" bacteria rather than the dormant bacteria that is in your tank right now. For example, you would be better off just sticking both your arms in the water and scraping off the bacteria there. Does it work? You would never know.

There is no reason to test your water right away. There's really nothing in there to test.
The good news is your water source is very good (had no idea VA's had such good water). Have you added a dechlorinator yet?

I really recommend that you try going to one of your lfs. They are much better than big commercial stores like petsmart or Petco. If you would of shopped around a bit you probably could of found a much better deal than what you got a Petco. Also the people at lfs are much more knowlegable than people at the other places.

I have added the cycle already, oops! As well added "Aqua Safe" a water conditioner

Any suggestions?? Should I go out and put in some ammonia til it risses to 5 ppm?? The what? Thanks Scott

The cycle won't hurt. Aquasafe is perfect. After you add the ammonia, sit back and let the cycle begin! Your testing regimen will consist of monitoring the ammonia level until you get a nitrite spike and then for the nitrate spike.

Keep in mind it's a lengthy process...patience is what's needed at this point. You're on the right track.

Keep us posted.

First you have to scrub and rinse all that will go into your aquarium. Tank itself, rinse the gravel very good, clean the decorations,...

Then you fill it with water and set it up the way you would do it for adding fish right away. Add dechlorinator (like stress coat). Test your pH.

Then, when you are done, all you have to worry about is to provide a steady source of ammonia either with pure ammonia, a raw shrimp or a piece of raw prawn (like I did), or with a few (!) hardy fish (not recommended).

In a few days start testing ammonia and nitrite. Ammonia will be the first to reach its peak and then come back down to 0 ppm. After nitrite has reached it's spike and is back down to 0 ppm, all you should have left is nitrate. Unless you have plants, the nitrate level should not be of concern, right everybody?

Then you take fuzzy little prawn out and slowly start with fish and you should be fine. (I personally add 4 Tbs of pickling salt (absolutely no additives or iodine in it!!!!!!!) which reduces stress and improves the slime coat on the fish.

Let me know, if you need advice on fishless with fuzzy. There are other members out there, that can give you excellent advice on doing it with pure ammonia.

Good luck to you!

OOPs, that's what you get for not turning to the second page. Sorry. Apparently you want to go for pure ammonia. Good for you and hang in there on your ride.
Congrats for going fishless

One nice thing about fishless cycling is that you now have some time to plan out what kind of fish you would like to add. I would suggest looking around where you live and try to find at least 3-4 fish/aquarium stores, include both chain stores like Petco and Petsmart as well as any more specialized, "mom & pop" fish stores as well. In the Arlington/DC area there should be a boatload of places to choose from; you might even consider asking on these boards if anyone is from the DC area and could recommend a place or two.

Anyways, go to as many stores as you can, bring a small notebook and pen, and whatever fish you see that makes you think, "I gotta have one of those!" write it down. If possible, write down the scientific name as well as the common name they give, since often times one fish can go by more than one common name, or, occasionally multiple different species of fish will all get called by the same common name.

Then come home, fire up the internet, and research, research, research! Learn how large these various fish get at adult size; learn what temperatures they like, learn what they like to eat, learn how aggressive they are and what other fish they can (or cannot) get along with. That way, by the time you have your tank fully cycled and ready for fish, you will have a plan in place and know exactly what you want. Plus, if you've visited a bunch of stores, you will have a good sense of which ones take good care of their fish and which ones don't.

Keep us posted on your progress, and keep asking questions. That's what we're here for. :D

So I read the posts and you are asking some great questions and getting some great answers. I think though that this may all seem like its too much too handle. I'll try to make some of the things easier on you.

1. Fish selection - put it firat cause you should know the fish you plan on keeping and research there needs. Easy to research -http://aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=11504

2. Cycling - read this - http://aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

3. As mentioned a test kit is a MUST - Aq. Pharm master test kit works well. Just don't get the strip kind.

4. Always come and ask your questions here no matter what the lfs or lps tell you. Not that they don't know what they don't know what they are saying, but there are alot of them that just answer by what they are told to say. Don't rush into anything. If you see some fish you like, have them hold them for a day or two and come here and ask and check out some profile websites.

I hope this helps, I'm no science nut and couldn't explain alot of what is said in the article section but I understood it which is more important. You should read all the articles aswell as read the linked articles as they offer some different aspects. HTH

Oh and with regards to "cycle". It doesn't do anything. I too bought that with my first tank. Used as directed, bought fish, cycle started shortly after fish added. You really need something in the tank to start the bacteria off.

just for an idea, my 10 g is in my sig. Yeah it's overstocked but I've got 15x filtration on it and do plenty of pwc. I like the dwarf gourami and the cory cats the most. the danios are longfins so they are kinda pretty but eh, they aren't very colorful. They are fast though, its fun to watch them chase each other. I see the pleco maybe 4 times a week lol.

Hi welcome to A.A.
First rule about petco never buy fish from them.
Tetra are great for a ten gallon and nice fish, with many kinds to choose from, and algea u can get shrimp or if u want fish a small cat fish will work.

Back
Top Bottom