Rubber Lip Pleco in 10 Gallon CLDWTR Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RoseyCometAquarium

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm thinking about getting a rubber lip pleco from my LFS but I'm really nervous. When I had normal algae eaters from petsmart, both of them died so I don't know what to expect with the rubber lip pleco in my 10 gallon. I have some vids of my tank on youtube so I don't have to describe my tank and here's the link : http://www.youtube.com/user/RoseyCometAquarium?blend=1&ob=0

Thats my channel with my 1 comet goldfish and 9 minnows. They have a 5-15 aqua tech filter and 2 15mw lightbulbs in the hood. I've had the tank now for about 2 months and I really want a rubber lip pleco. I'm not going to make you guys read throught this whole entire thing feeling bored so i'll just list my questions 1,2,3,4 .. order and you can reply in that order. :thanks:

1. Would a small 1 in - 1.5 in rubber lip pleco survive in this tank?
2. Would he require driftwood ?
3. Would he be agressive with my minnows and goldfish?
4. I have this white-brown algae growing. Would the pleco eat it?
5. With the pleco, would I need to leave the lights on always?
6.Can i feed him Wardley Shrimp pellets for bottom feeders or would I have to get him algae wafers?
7. Do they require more hiding places then I have in my tank ( look at my youtube vids from my link ) ?
8. Would my pleco be active or kind of shy from my tank setup?
9.When should I feed him?
10. There is not much algae except for the white-brown algae which there isn't alot so would i have to leave the lights on to grow more algae for him?

If you guys have any other tips or suggestions, comments about my tank on youtube, just reply and please answer.Please answer and :thanks:

:fish2::fish1:(y):thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

Hi and welcome. So you have a comet and 9 minnows and you want a pleco in the 10 gal? If so, then sorry no. It's already overstocked. The golfish alone should be in a 20 gal tank. How long has the tank been set up? The pleco can get large and should be in a 30+ gal tank, plus it's a tropical fish and goldfish are coldwater fish so they need different temps.

I'd advise you read the link below in my signature: guide to setting up a FW aquarium.

Can you just answer my questions? I know it's a little overstocked. I'm going to move them to a 50 gallon at the end of the month. Can you answer the questions as if they were in the 10 gallon right now? Thank you!

I'm thinking about getting a rubber lip pleco from my LFS but I'm really nervous. When I had normal algae eaters from petsmart, both of them died so I don't know what to expect with the rubber lip pleco in my 10 gallon. I have some vids of my tank on youtube so I don't have to describe my tank and here's the link : http://www.youtube.com/user/RoseyCometAquarium?blend=1&ob=0

Thats my channel with my 1 comet goldfish and 9 minnows. They have a 5-15 aqua tech filter and 2 15mw lightbulbs in the hood. I've had the tank now for about 2 months and I really want a rubber lip pleco. I'm not going to make you guys read throught this whole entire thing feeling bored so i'll just list my questions 1,2,3,4 .. order and you can reply in that order. :thanks:

6.Can i feed him Wardley Shrimp pellets for bottom feeders or would I have to get him algae wafers?
7. Do they require more hiding places then I have in my tank ( look at my youtube vids from my link ) ?
10. There is not much algae except for the white-brown algae which there isn't alot so would i have to leave the lights on to grow more algae for him?

If you guys have any other tips or suggestions, comments about my tank on youtube, just reply and please answer.Please answer and :thanks:

:fish2::fish1:(y):thanks::thanks::thanks::thanks:

1. Not likely.
2. Driftwood is recommended. Mine loves his.
3. Not likely.
4. Hard to say without seeing the algae, but the green variety is usually preferred.
5. No.
6. Sorry, I'm not familiar with these pellets.
7. I'm having trouble with the link, but they're pretty creative when it comes to finding hiding spots.
8. Every one's different, but they're hiders by nature.
9. With that much stock, you may think about dropping a wafer in after lights out so he has a chance to get to it before the others. I do this every 2-3 days. Otherwise the only thing I feed to only him is a slice of cucumber or zuccini once a week.
10. I wouldn't. Fish need night and day too.

Good luck.

How come it's most likely that he would not survive in the tank?
Here's another link since you said that one doesn't work?

I doubt it
Highly Recommended
Plecos are normally not very aggressive to other species. Though if your comet bumps him he may get poked.
I doubt it
Never leave your lights on always
Algae wafers and some fresh veggies
Yes they require hiding places
If it doesn't have a hiding place it will be very stressed out.
Every other dayish
No

Don't get a pleco it will not survive in your tank. Even if it does it won't be happy. If you have to get the pleco get a heater and get your water temp to about 78 degrees F.

You are in the right place and you are good to ask first. Don't take this advice as negative or condescending keep doing your research and try to make your fish as happy as possible :lol:

Good luck!

Thanks. I did get the first link to work. That is a great looking goldfish. Not a lot of cover in there, if you did add one.

What were the algae eaters that you had that died? I've read some things about rubberlip's being one of the more sensitive of the pleco's. I just really think that the bio-load you've got going and the lack of hiding spots would make it a tough adjustment.

I'd go with getting the 50g set up and then get one. In the meantime, you can probably just scrub any algae out when you do your bi-weekly water changes. What is your water change schedule?

Unfortunately there aren't any true coldwater algae eaters at least that I know of. If you have good filtration and stay on top of water changes it shouldn't be a problem. Though with your bio-load it will be tough. Goldfish are cool but really dirty fish.

There are pond snails, but I don't think you want to go there.

Good luck

The algae eaters that I had from before were just algae eaters from petsmart. I know they have another name other than algae eater but I had 2 of them and they died. Do you guys know of any algae eaters that could survive in my tank because i'm probably gonna get driftwood? Maybe oto's or something I don't know. Thank you

Back
Top Bottom