Running new filter on established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heemskn

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought my first ever canister filter (cheap SunSun 302) for a 29 planted that I want to set up. I have a an established 55g turtle/cichlid tank with sump and a DIY wet/dry filter.

Can I get a headstart on cycling the new tank by running the new canister on the turtle tank for a while (in parralel with the DIY filter)?

How long for the good bacteria to establish themselves in the canister bio media?

Would I be importing any algae or other nasties from the turtle tank to the new tank, or will I get those anyway when I put plants and fish in?

Thanks

If your other tank is healthy, by all means run a new filter (or just put the filter pad in your existing filter) to seed it. It will take a few weeks to fully seed. And any disease will be transferred to your new tank. <I wouldn't worry about algae, that spread by spores, which is in the air & water, etc...>

i would set it up let it run a couple weeks then switch it. depending on your stocking levels you still might have to cycle the tank still. i would switch it over and do fishless cycle that should cut the time down to 1-2 weeks. again like jsoong said as long as the tank is healthy and everything is fine go for it.

Back
Top Bottom