Running two filters

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

maestromad

Aquarium Advice Addict
ME again!!! I have been advised to run both filters in my new 110L tank however looking at my fish I think it may be too strong with both of them in there. I currently have them side by side. Any advice or thoughts from more experienced aquarists??

Can you reduce the flow in either of them? Or put the established media in the new filter?

They are both as low as I can get them ad the pads are different sizes the new one is slightly larger, watching them they swim into the flow and then ride the wave back so to speak. I'll see how they fare and if need be do a fish in cycle.
On the plus side they seem to enjoy the new tank, hopefully much more once my plants arrive!! Then I can add the Air pump and get some tank mates!

If they purposefully swim into the current and aren't hiding around avoiding it, I don't think it's a problem. If it was too much for them I believe they'd sulk at the bottom and avoid the current at all cost.

You could try putting some filter padding where the water comes out to reduce the current when it hits the water. I have two filters (a Aquaclear HOB and an internal Fluval) and felt it was too much flow/bubbles even with the HOB on the low setting, so this is what I did. It helps a lot. You may just want to do it on one though so that there is some surface movement from the other.

What fish do you have in your tank?

A lot of fish really enjoy the current. Like somebody else said, they like to swim in it and get pushed around. Its fun watching and the fish like it.

Remember, a lot of fish come from rivers, streams, etc.

The fish will adjust eventually. When I added a new air stone in my tank, it created a lot of current. The fish eventually get used to the amount of current. Nothing to worry about, really, unless they're hiding or not swimming around.

I have guppies and peppered corys, I'll keep an eye on them today and if they Aren't hiding away from it I'll leave it be.
It's only until the new filter becomes established then ebrything can get back to normal!

Use the coke bottle method. U cut one in half and attach it so return water is slowed by hitting the inward curve ofnthe bottle.

Thanks FTP everyone. this morning my guppies weren't doing their usual of chillin on the bottom sleeping they were bunched together tightly, I have turned the new filter off leaving my fluval U2 (o to 110l) and they have perked up plus the other filter was very noisy. As long as I watch the parameters and do reg changes will my previous filter be ok I only changed to the new one as it was free! I'll be adding airstoes soon too for extra flow ??

My orginal filter is 105 gph(us) 400 l/h that's the one I'd like to keep no noise at all and variable types of flow the interpret is 176 gph 800 l/h very noisy!! Plus the fish seem more swimmy with my previous filter on if that makes any sense!!
Maybe I'm just being paranoid!

maestromad said:
My orginal filter is 105 gph(us) 400 l/h that's the one I'd like to keep no noise at all and variable types of flow the interpret is 176 gph 800 l/h very noisy!! Plus the fish seem more swimmy with my previous filter on if that makes any sense!!
Maybe I'm just being paranoid!

The old one should be fine depending on stock... Its moving water four times an hour... I use 10x per hour on my tanks, admittedly high, my fish don't mind though. If water quality stays fine w old filer then dont fix Wat ain't broken. The new one may only be noisy due to not being fully primed or set rt. Is it hob? If so it may just be a case of u fooling w rudder and noise may stop. But I doubt u would ever need both of those filters....

Thanks for that it's an inside jobby we've been watching them and trying them new filter and off and they seem happier with just the old filter. Going to put the airstones in now as they are all acting oddly but maybe that's just because they are in a new environment,?

If ur airstones cause disruption get a t valve and regulate air flow.

I'm Not sure what that means lol! I have a check value on them and they are aqua one ones with a 9500 pump??

It's a valve that is shaped like a t. It has a nob that twists to restrict air flow

Ok I'll have a look I can change the flow rate on the pump only prob now is stopping them from floating lol!
Thanks fr your help :)

maestromad said:
Ok I'll have a look I can change the flow rate on the pump only prob now is stopping them from floating lol!
Thanks fr your help :)

No gl. Think about king ur airstones into DIY sponge filters.. just a piece of pvc and almost any sponge and u have secondary filtration...

Back
Top Bottom