Rusty quartzite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
I picked up 80 lbs of quartzite for my 75 gallon that I'm setting up from scratch. The stuff has been washed and scrubbed and is currently sitting in a bleach bath. Some of the pieces seem to be showing rust now that they've been drenched. Will this be a problem for African cichlids? There's also plenty of shiny flakes stuck to the rock. Maybe mica? Maybe quartz? Is this okay?

Attachments

• image-592778964.jpg
    image-592778964.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 98
If it has rust then IMO I wouldn't risk it... metals can be toxic to your fish. However I don't know anything about that type of rock. If I were you, I'd play it safe and stick with something like slate.

My daughter is a geologist and when I wanted to put mica in my tank cuz it is so pretty, she said no way! She advised me to do the vinegar test. When the stones/rock are dry, put about a tablespoon of vinegar on them. If the bubble, do not use them. I would be really worried if the are rusting! Anything in the Quartz family, from what I understand, is not the best. As okapizebra said, the have metal toxins. IMO go with slate. Safe and no risks!!

Back
Top Bottom