Safe to add fish?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WisChris

Aquarium Advice Regular
Got my new 26 g up and running 3 weeks ago. Planted it pretty heavily 18 days ago and initially planned on a fishless cycle. LFS talked me into 4 bloodfin tetras (cycling fish only). My tank particulars are under my profile.

So…I've been testing daily with the API Master & have done 2 water changes. Ammonia has never risen above 0.25 ppm. For the last 3 days it's been 0, or very close. I have yet to see any Nitrites:confused: As for Nitrates, I thought I saw a small amount 7-9 days ago (subtle, just over 0).

I'm having a hard time determining if this tank has cycled. I expected to see Nitrite and Nitrate easily by this point. Not sure if my plants are taking care of them, or if I need to keep waiting:confused: I'm excited about getting my stocking going, but I don't think any of my permanent inhabitants are very hardy (cory cats, oto cats, pencilfish, neon/green tetras).

So, wondering if I can slowly start stocking any of the above?

Fish In Tank Cycling

Got my new 26 g up and running 3 weeks ago. Planted it pretty heavily 18 days ago and initially planned on a fishless cycle. LFS talked me into 4 bloodfin tetras (cycling fish only). My tank particulars are under my profile.

So…I've been testing daily with the API Master & have done 2 water changes. Ammonia has never risen above 0.25 ppm. For the last 3 days it's been 0, or very close. I have yet to see any Nitrites:confused: As for Nitrates, I thought I saw a small amount 7-9 days ago (subtle, just over 0).

I'm having a hard time determining if this tank has cycled. I expected to see Nitrite and Nitrate easily by this point. Not sure if my plants are taking care of them, or if I need to keep waiting:confused: I'm excited about getting my stocking going, but I don't think any of my permanent inhabitants are very hardy (cory cats, oto cats, pencilfish, neon/green tetras).

So, wondering if I can slowly start stocking any of the above?

Hello Wis...

I cycled my first 30 G with 8 adult female Guppies, a hardy, medium sized fish. You need enough fish to produce a measurable amount of waste to start the nitrogen cycle, usually 3 to 4 hardy fish for every 10 gallons of water. You test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, remove and replace a quarter of the tank water. When you have several daily tests with no traces of either of the above toxins, the tank is cycled. You add a few small fish and resume daily testing until the tank is stocked.

It's a good idea to plant the tank ahead of time. Floating plants like Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort are best. They'll help maintain a reasonably stable water chemistry during the cycle.

B

I personally would not consider my tank cycled without the production of nitrates. When ammonia is zero and nitrites are zero and nitrates are clearly present, only then would I start to slowly add additional stock.
Shame the LFS pushed the idea of fish in tank cycling, fish less is so much quicker and easier.

Your tank hasn't cycled. I would not add more fish until it does. You will just be creating more work for yourself (more testing and water changes)
It can take many, many, many weeks to do a fish-in cycle. I would not expect it to be done after 18 days.

Hello Wis...

I cycled my first 30 G with 8 adult female Guppies, a hardy, medium sized fish. You need enough fish to produce a measurable amount of waste to start the nitrogen cycle, usually 3 to 4 hardy fish for every 10 gallons of water. You test the water daily for traces of ammonia and nitrite. If you have a positive test, remove and replace a quarter of the tank water. When you have several daily tests with no traces of either of the above toxins, the tank is cycled. You add a few small fish and resume daily testing until the tank is stocked.

It's a good idea to plant the tank ahead of time. Floating plants like Hornwort, Anacharis and Pennywort are best. They'll help maintain a reasonably stable water chemistry during the cycle.

B

Thanks BBradbury.

I am med/high light w/CO2 & planted with Echinodorus barthii, E. bleheri, E. tenellus, Micro Swords, Green Cabomba, Pennywort, Dwarf Sagittaria subulata, Mayaca & Alternanthera reineckii. I thought my cycle would complete pretty quickly wit all of these plants & EcoComplete substrate. I've had the four 2" bloodfin tetras in there for 18 days, but haven't seen any NO2 or NO3?

Your tank hasn't cycled. I would not add more fish until it does. You will just be creating more work for yourself (more testing and water changes)
It can take many, many, many weeks to do a fish-in cycle. I would not expect it to be done after 18 days.

Thank you threnjen:)

You've confirmed my suspicion, my expectations are too high;)

It's been a tough couple of weeks…I initially set up a paintball CO2 system when I planted, and ended up having issues with my needle valve. So I exchanged it and upgraded to a full sized regulator…but during the wait, I goofed and didn't decrease my lighting time, and now I've got a bit of an algae problem. Might start a new thread and post some pics & details...

Tetras don't have much of a bioload

Interesting…LFS made the suggestion to go with 4 of them to cycle my tank.

I'll eventually stock Sterbai Cories and Otocinclus in this community tank, but don't think either are hardy? Neither are Neon Tetras or Pencilfish, so hence the temporary cycling bloodfins tetras.

Wondering if I should add some bioload or return them & go fishless:confused:

Back
Top Bottom