salt and corys

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildcatcrzy

Aquarium Advice Regular
The guy at fish store recommended salt for my freshwater tank but I plan to get corys and read they don't like salt. He said use half the recommended dose. Is this ok?

No, it's not okay (although it depends on the species of cory). In fact, many freshwater fish don't handle salt well. Please see the following:

The Corydoras are quite sensitive to water parameters and quality, and highly intolerant of salt, chemicals and medications. Signs of stress usually begin with rapid respiration, then lethargy (often just "sitting" on plant leaves, wood or the substrate respirating heavily, sometimes near the surface) and sometimes rolling onto one side. At such signs, a partial water change of at least 50% with a good water conditioner should immediately be made, and appropriate steps taken to remove the cause. Any sudden fluctuation in water chemistry or temperature often induces shock, causing the fish to "faint" and fall over on its side. Corydoras introduced to new aquaria will settle in better if the tank is established; Cory's do not adjust well to a new aquarium with still-unstable water conditions and fluctuations.

Read more: Julii Cory (Corydoras julii) Profile

I'm not sure why fish stores recommend salt for FW tanks. I know they use salt in their tanks to fight toxicity and disease b/c their tanks aren't maintained well (an employee in a large chain store told me this) but a general FW tank doesn't need salt unless using it for disease, and even then only if the species can handle it. Some people do use it, it depends on the owner and the tank's inhabitants I guess. I don't use it personally.

I agree. No salt. It is not necessary for most healthy and well-maintained fw set-ups. I have had fish store people suggest it to me as well. Sometimes corys can handle it, but I would definitely not recommend using it in a cory tank permanently.

It isn't necessary for normal applications, but just as an aside, I have treated cories for ich many times with salt, successfully (working at lfs). It isn't as though you're more likely to kill them with salt than meds. If the situation arises, I'd go with salt every time over meds... but unless there is something specific that you are treating for, no, you should not use salt in your tank.

Back
Top Bottom