Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > Freshwater > Freshwater & Brackish - Getting Started
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-28-2011, 03:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Regular

salt and corys

The guy at fish store recommended salt for my freshwater tank but I plan to get corys and read they don't like salt. He said use half the recommended dose. Is this ok?

Old 09-28-2011, 03:29 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

No, it's not okay (although it depends on the species of cory). In fact, many freshwater fish don't handle salt well. Please see the following:

The Corydoras are quite sensitive to water parameters and quality, and highly intolerant of salt, chemicals and medications. Signs of stress usually begin with rapid respiration, then lethargy (often just "sitting" on plant leaves, wood or the substrate respirating heavily, sometimes near the surface) and sometimes rolling onto one side. At such signs, a partial water change of at least 50% with a good water conditioner should immediately be made, and appropriate steps taken to remove the cause. Any sudden fluctuation in water chemistry or temperature often induces shock, causing the fish to "faint" and fall over on its side. Corydoras introduced to new aquaria will settle in better if the tank is established; Cory's do not adjust well to a new aquarium with still-unstable water conditions and fluctuations.

Read more: Julii Cory (Corydoras julii) Profile

75: blood parrots, featherfin cat, emperor tetras, turquoise rainbowfish, BN plecos, japanese trapdoor; 46: WCMM, gold inca snails, ghost, bamboo & amano shrimp, kuhli loaches, rummynose & ember tetras, endlers, platies, flame gourami, guppies; 16: pygmy, peppered, loxozonus corys, otos, assassins, RCS ... ~ Research PRIOR to purchase.... ~
LyndaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 03:41 PM   #3
Look It Up

I'm not sure why fish stores recommend salt for FW tanks. I know they use salt in their tanks to fight toxicity and disease b/c their tanks aren't maintained well (an employee in a large chain store told me this) but a general FW tank doesn't need salt unless using it for disease, and even then only if the species can handle it. Some people do use it, it depends on the owner and the tank's inhabitants I guess. I don't use it personally.
librarygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Daphnia are People Too.
Community Moderator

POTM Champion

I agree. No salt. It is not necessary for most healthy and well-maintained fw set-ups. I have had fish store people suggest it to me as well. Sometimes corys can handle it, but I would definitely not recommend using it in a cory tank permanently.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:21 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

No salt, definitely not with cories and DEFINITELY not with planted tanks, I only used salt because of diseases.
Old 09-28-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Addict

It isn't necessary for normal applications, but just as an aside, I have treated cories for ich many times with salt, successfully (working at lfs). It isn't as though you're more likely to kill them with salt than meds. If the situation arises, I'd go with salt every time over meds... but unless there is something specific that you are treating for, no, you should not use salt in your tank.
severum mama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 10:02 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Regular

Ok. No it is. Lol

Tags
cory, corys, salt

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com