Salt in freshwater. Are there benefits?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willikris

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've read about people using a bit of aquarium salt for their freshwater tanks. What are your expert opinions? What are the benefits? Or am I completely wrong and confused lol!

Salt in Fresh Water Tanks

I've read about people using a bit of aquarium salt for their freshwater tanks. What are your expert opinions? What are the benefits? Or am I completely wrong and confused lol!

Hello will...

I believe all freshwater fish will benefit from a little. Livebearers for sure like it, especially Mollies. At least my Fancy Guppies do along with large weekly water changes. Corydoras, the little cats, aren't really salt sensitive if the doses are low. Plants tolerate a little too. Again, the dose must be small. I add a teaspoon of standard aquarium salt to every 5 gallons of new, treated tap water, have for several years and my fish are fine with this amount. My Guppies live at least a year or more and I have Corys that are coming up on 5 years, so the combination of pure water and a little salt must be of some benefit.

It's entirely up to the waterkeeper. Your fish will very likely do pretty well without it.

B

Does it help keep disease away? I've heard it can be helpful with fungus as well??

Assuming you don't have plants or inverts salt is great to use to help treat some illnesses with your fish. Plants have varying tolerances and most inverts don't tolerate salt very well.

I personally wouldn't use it on a constant basis although many do. That being said there's absolutely nothing wrong with occasional use.

Is there an issue you are having?

I never use it. I use pimafix and melafix when I do use any meds. If I get ich (which hasn't happened in years) I just crank up the heat and do water changes. I figure if the fish normally come from freshwater I'm not going to just throw some salt in because it 'might' help, especially when I don't have any problems in the first place.

Assuming you don't have plants or inverts salt is great to use to help treat some illnesses with your fish. Plants have varying tolerances and most inverts don't tolerate salt very well.

I personally wouldn't use it on a constant basis although many do. That being said there's absolutely nothing wrong with occasional use.

Is there an issue you are having?

I'm not currently having any issues, I've just read that the salt helps balance electrolytes and general overall health. I was thinking about using it (I am almost to the end of cycling my tank) so I've been doing research on different parameters for gold fish. Seems like there is a lot of debate for and against that's why I asked in the forum. Since I wasn't having any health issues I was just thinking of using "a little" vs the complete dosage suggested...

Just trying to get as much info as possible before I get my fish in!

My pet store owner suggested for me to use the salt. I did. I have no problems using it.

When u have a chance! What kind of fish do u have. Like I said, I'm going to get goldfish so I'm curious how the salt-users do it lol!

Fersure ill check and i have tiger sharbs and a sucker fish

When u have a chance! What kind of fish do u have. Like I said, I'm going to get goldfish so I'm curious how the salt-users do it lol!

The salt says to add 1 rounded tablespoon for every 5 U.S. gallons (20 L). Or 1/2 rounded spoon for every U.S. gallon (4 L) of aquarium water.

Using Aquarium Salt

Does it help keep disease away? I've heard it can be helpful with fungus as well??

Hello again will...

In the close to 10 years I've kept freshwater tanks, I've always used a little salt and never had an infection in the tanks. It's my belief that most pathogens that can infect fish don't tolerate salt well. Again, I'm a water change fanatic and find that if I take good care of the tank water, including a bit of salt, the fish and plants stay healthy.

Just my opinion, I don't have much scientifically to back up my statement, just my observations and a little research.

B

Hello again will...

In the close to 10 years I've kept freshwater tanks, I've always used a little salt and never had an infection in the tanks. It's my belief that most pathogens that can infect fish don't tolerate salt well. Again, I'm a water change fanatic and find that if I take good care of the tank water, including a bit of salt, the fish and plants stay healthy.

Just my opinion, I don't have much scientifically to back up my statement, just my observations and a little research.

B

Great!!! Thanks!!

Also...since I'm still cycling...if I do decide to go with the salt, can I start adding it now? Or wait til the cycle is complete? Or wait til the fish are in and slowly introduce it?

Using Aquarium Salt

Also...since I'm still cycling...if I do decide to go with the salt, can I start adding it now? Or wait til the cycle is complete? Or wait til the fish are in and slowly introduce it?

will...

If you're cycling the tank without fish, then it's really pointless to use it. There's nothing in the tank that will benefit from it. If you're cycling with fish, then I'd definitely use it. Salt, in general, helps fish cope with the less than pure water conditions associated with the nitrogen cycle. Just a teaspoon in every 5 gallons is sufficient and it can be added to the new, treated tap water during the water changing process. Just make sure it's dissolved.

B

If you're cycling the tank without fish, then it's really pointless to use it. There's nothing in the tank that will benefit from it. If you're cycling with fish, then I'd definitely use it. Salt, in general, helps fish cope with the less than pure water conditions associated with the nitrogen cycle. Just a teaspoon in every 5 gallons is sufficient and it can be added to the new, treated tap water during the water changing process. Just make sure it's dissolved.

B[/QUOTE]

Ok B. So would the best time to add it be the first water change I do after I add the fish? Full dosage or introduce it slow?

I put a little in when I had a case of ich. Seemed to help apart from my tank was lightly planted and like a few people have said, plants don't like salt.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom