Salt or no salt??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bish67

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi....im currently on week 6 of my fresh water 20 gallon tank adventure. I have 3 platty 3 guppy .3 black neon and 3 rosy tetra. I will be getting a few more neon and a few more tetra. Tank is fully cycled.
My question is this....
Should i add a little aqua salt for fresh water? I Dont wanna turn tank brackish ....have read a little salt is good? Helps with diseases and fish stress??
Thoughts?

Salt is only useful really in the fight against ich. Otherwise, it does basically no good in your tank. Others may disagree, but science is on my side ;)

hmm...thanks to you both already for super fast responses. I have read...that a little aquarium salt is good for the following reasons...
1, It helps when introducing new few fish as it aids stress.....which can cause ich.
2, it replaces certain chemicals in the water...or at least helps to maintain.
Thoughts?

Bud......really interested in your science is on your side comment tho....

Lt .....thanks for your link...interesting.....tho not sure its solved my problem?

There is no scientific evidence to support the claim that aquarium salt reduces stress. It may actually increase stress in some species of fish. As you know, fish come from all around the world. Some fish like tetras come from areas with low TDS (total dissolved solids) and some, like african cichlids, come from areas with high TDS. Each fish has developed a metabolic process to take advantage of the water conditions. Adding aquarium salt can disrupt this process.

"It adds certain chemicals to the water"

I believe you are talking about electrolytes. Yes, aquarium salt does in fact add electrolytes, but unless you have incredibly soft and acidic water from your tap, there are enough of these electrolytes already present in your tap water. No need to add salt.

Bud.....top advice my friend.....i know you know what your talking about.!!
ok.....so.....i have ich ...for the second time...done the temp thing...it worked but not totally ....BUT....i did add fish after i cleared the ich simpsons maybe.....so now im doing meds n salt??!

OK......your best bet would be to raise the temperature to about 87-88 degrees, and add salt at a ratio of 1 tablespoon per 5 gallons of water. Keep the temperature up until you see no spots for a whole week. I personally have not had too much luck with meds.

EDIT: also, remember to run an airstone or lower the water level enough that the filter splashes and makes bubbles. There is less dissolved oxygen in warmer water, and considering ich makes it hard for fish to breathe, you definitely want some extra aeration.

That's fine. As long as you have some extra way of aerating the water when the temperature is high, it's OK. Hope the ich gets better, it really sucks.

it does...im 6 weeks in....so passionate about this....but Cant shake the dreaded ich

Salt in Freshwater Tanks

Hi....im currently on week 6 of my fresh water 20 gallon tank adventure. I have 3 platty 3 guppy .3 black neon and 3 rosy tetra. I will be getting a few more neon and a few more tetra. Tank is fully cycled.
My question is this....
Should i add a little aqua salt for fresh water? I Dont wanna turn tank brackish ....have read a little salt is good? Helps with diseases and fish stress??
Thoughts?

Hello Bish...

I use a little standard aquarium salt in my planted tanks. I keep the dose low, just a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of my replacement water. The plants are fine with smaller doses and my "Livebearers" and Corydoras have been living in the slightly brackish water for several years with no problems.

I use it to keep the fish healthy and have read that most pathogens that affect aquarium fish don't tolerate traces of salt in the tank water.

Brackish is a term used for water with a measureable trace of salt in it. Water with more salt in it than in freshwater.

B

As I said, if you read that whole thread, lots of information, but you have to sift through some garbage posts to find it. There's also links to a couple scientific web sites in there somewhere. I was part of the debate, so I know whats in there

ok.....appreciate. your help.....still not sure it helps......do...i...add a little salt or not ..argh

Hello Bish...

I use a little standard aquarium salt in my planted tanks. I keep the dose low, just a teaspoon for every 5 gallons of my replacement water. The plants are fine with smaller doses and my "Livebearers" and Corydoras have been living in the slightly brackish water for several years with no problems.

I use it to keep the fish healthy and have read that most pathogens that affect aquarium fish don't tolerate traces of salt in the tank water.

Brackish is a term used for water with a measureable trace of salt in it. Water with more salt in it than in freshwater.

B

Brackish water is diluted sea water. And marine salt has many more components than aquarium salt, which is just sodium chloride. As stated on badmanstropicalfish.com, using just sodium chloride to make brackish water is like a "half-hearted attempt" and is not a very good replication of their natural habitat. More significant elements needed are calcium, magnesium, potassium, boron and silicate salts.

Also, I do not believe that such a small amount of salt like 1 teaspoon to 5 gallons is enough to discourage bacterial pathogens.

It's not. It's diluted seawater, in between freshwater and saltwater. It's just that livebearers originate from brackish conditions so some people keep them in brackish.

Back
Top Bottom