Same old question - 75g

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WestCoast-Kelly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello. I have been doing searches and browsing the 'help me stock' threads and I am learning lots. I am wondering about some specific advice.

My 76g tanks has some basic plantings; anubias, java ferns, cryptocoyne, and I am getting another shipment in this week. I'm expecting a few more plants, and fertilizer. I'm planting in glass pots instead of directly into the sand, so that I can better ensure the root tabs are going where they need to.

So.. I will be getting at least 6 cory cats but I'm not certain what kind yet. I like the spotted ones and the metallic-looking ones. I also want a shoal of about 10 harlequin rasbora.

Now, I need to decide on a 'showy' set of fish. There are just sooo many options, that I am getting lost.
fLpTitE.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome to the same old answers!!! Kidding!

Also when stocking your tank and considering which fish get along and have the same tank water needs, etc, there is a little more to consider.

Color of the substrate / color of fish - Cories that are white might not look as good on light sand as ones with color to them.

If you have Harlequin Rasboras (there are a couple different colors variants, Purple/black and gold too), they have a certain shape body and a similar shape body fish like a Von Rio Tetra, is so similar that it might not be a good choice due to how similar it is.

A variety of body shapes for fish are nice to see in an aquarium.

Torpedo shape body of fish like Cardinals and Neons.

Broad body fish like Dwarf Gourami or Larger Pearl Gourami male and larger angular body like an Angelfish.

Also consider where in the tank they swim. Hatchet fish are very most top dwelling fish as many Cories are bottom dwelling.

My experience with the Harlequin Rasboras is that they swim mid upper area of the tank but not really in the top 20%.

Hoping that is not the same old advice you have read 10 times!

Super great advice. I did not even think about body shapes that will best match and contrast.

There were some gold laser Corys for sale in my fish club, but they were snapped up quick. I think they'd be dark enough against off-white, but I'll research.

A friend breeds one of the friendliest cichlid species, they are blue and only get to about 3 inches. I can't remember their name, but he said he'd chat with me when my tank was ready for fish. He keeps his in a series of community tanks.

I'd also been thinking of rummy nosed tetra, but thought they'd compete for space with rasbora. I should have mentioned that my tank is quite tall. It would be nice for Discus, but I'm not ready for that kind of commitment yet. I'm new and need to learn a lot before I invest my savings into 6 fish :)

Blue Rams?

People who get the Rummy Nose usually really like them because they actually school and not just shoal. They would be very similar in color to the Regular H. Rasboras though. Fish in the lfs, usually do not show their best or mature colors either.

Lighter sand like you have tends to have fish mimicking lighter colors too. The Orange and Red Laser Cories are one of my very favorite. You might check Wet Spot for shipping you a batch after your tank is matured and stable. They cost a pretty penny though. Not as much as Discus though!!!

OK, just looked up some videos on German Blue Rams. Wow.. I want them. And, I want a school of orange laser corydoras. One video had both in a tank, and they looked great together.

My imaginary community tank is shaping up. I got some filter media from a trusted source and it's helping my tank cycle. Will continue testing, and hopefully can start stocking in January. Best to wait til after the break anyway.

Make sure you are still feeding the BB with an ammonia source like pure ammonia with nothing added (some dollar stores or Ace hardware), a small piece of rinsed fresh shrimp like a 1/2 inch long chunk every 10-14 days (could stink), or flake fish food (could cause algae due to phosphates and not doing pwc). Ammonia would be the cleanest way to do it. I have only used the flake food method personally as a disclaimer!

Article here for fishless cycling.
The (almost) Complete Guide and FAQ to Fishless Cycling - Aquarium Advice

Also the article in my signature has great info and links for more articles!

I found out that my friend breeds Golden Dwarf Cichlids, so I am reserving a couple of those.

So, my tentative plan:

Upper tank - 10ish Rasbora
Middle lower tank - 2-4 Dwarf Golden Cichlid
Lower tank - 6-10 Laser Corydora

Will I have room for more?

You have plenty of room for more fish bodies, as in bioload, but Golden Cichlids I am not familiar with. My concern is how territorial they might get if spawning. And that you will have spawning ???caves/places where they will want to stake a claim on.

Your friend should steer you in the right direction there with their compatibility with the rest of the fish.

What is your pH out of the tap (or after sitting for 24-48 hours)?

Nannacara Anomala. He uses terracotta pots for houses, and I plan to get a good number of them for territory/hiding spots.

7.2 pH after sitting for 5 days

36 hours after adding bacteria from friend's tank, and ghost feeding flakes ( I need to run to the store for ammonia, just been busy):

0.0 ppm Ammonia
0.0ppm Nitrate
5.0ppm Nitrite

I have the temperature set to 27 degrees (80.6), but I haven't picked up a thermometer yet.

I wanted to edit my original post, but it won't let me. I want to change the picture size as that one is silly big.

fLpTitE.jpg

Back
Top Bottom