Sand

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Campbell_Betta_

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have white sand in one of my betta tanks. I clean the tank every 2 weeks because it is small but the white sand I have has started to turn grayish on some areas and in those areas it smells like sulfur! Does anyone know why?

Your sand is too deep and needs stirred up more often, it's gone anaerobic. You'll need to take the betta out, do a massive water change and really toss the sand around during it, depending on how deep the sand is you may want to take some out. After that I'd keep moving sand around during water changes. Most people vacumn the top of their sand, but I actually dig into it, you just have to be careful not to actually suck it up and out.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Your sand is too deep and needs stirred up more often, it's gone anaerobic. You'll need to take the betta out, do a massive water change and really toss the sand around during it, depending on how deep the sand is you may want to take some out. After that I'd keep moving sand around during water changes. Most people vacumn the top of their sand, but I actually dig into it, you just have to be careful not to actually suck it up and out.

Thank you I bought her some new gravel today at the store! But for my other betta fish who has sand I will remember that

No problem :)

Back
Top Bottom