Sand or gravel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Laxplaya1821

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I'm upgrading from a 90 gallon tank to a 150 gallon and was thinking of making the switch from gravel to sand, but I had heard from a few people that I shouldn't because the sand is harder to maintain. Is this true? Can anyone help me with this dilemma

Sand vs gravel is a personal choice. I have done both and think sand is way easier to maintain as dirt (waste, debris, etc) stays on the surface making cleaning quick and easy. Not everyone likes this aspect though as gravel hides the dirt and waste. You will likely find mixed opinions. :)

Yea I've noticed that but do different fish work better with different bottoms?

I have sand and I like it. Yes u can see the waste but its not bad if you have good filtration. I have a couple rope fish, Raphael catfish and gold nugget pleco...they all hang out at the bottom of the tank a lot and seem to enjoy the sand.

I love my sand. It's easy to clean, And I'm a newbie to sand! I love the way it looks too. I put a few gravel pebbles on top to make it look more natural. Would never go back to full gravel.

I have sand in my 5 gallon and gravel in my bigger one. I figured I would try sand in the smaller one in case I messed it up it would be a lot easier to fix. I really like the sand and want to switch my bigger tank to sand when I can. I do have black sand in my small tank and it does show some dirt but it's not bad, it's easy to clean up though and I think it looks better.

I feel like sand is a lot easier to clean, everything sits on top so you just swivel your siphon and it sucks it up.

But, it all sits on top. I'd say if you have a problem looking at poo on the surface of your sand, then maybe you should stick to gravel.

My once a week cleaning is good enough, sometimes I only change the water too. But since I switched to sand, ive realized, how long it took to siphon everything out of the rocks. Because yes it hides it but, its everywhere underneath, and u have to turn and turn that stuff over and over.

Based on what I've read I think I, gonna make the switch thanks for all the advice

Make the switch! You will be so happy you did, I sure was! It's so much easier to clean! Especially if you have bottom dwellers like cories, they will especially appreciate it!

I have white sand....where did u get the black sand ?

They have it at my LFS (I use aquarium sand. As I'm not adventurous enough to venture out and try pool filter or sand blasting sand, which many on here do and have a wide array of colours. Plus I have small tanks so 5 bucks or so doesn't bother me). At my LFS they have white, beige, reddish, black and blue.

Back
Top Bottom