Sand over gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bruinsbro1997

Aquarium Advice Addict
So I would like to add some sand to my tank, problem is that there is gravel in there already with live plants in it. Its been running for a year and it might just have a good bacteria colony on it, I don't want to remove it, should I just put the sand over the gravel?

The sand is not going to stay on top of the gravel. It will all end up a mixed up mess... which is fine if you are ok with that. But don't think you will have a layer of sand on top of a layer of gravel--at least not for long :)

So I would like to add some sand to my tank, problem is that there is gravel in there already with live plants in it. Its been running for a year and it might just have a good bacteria colony on it, I don't want to remove it, should I just put the sand over the gravel?

Sure .. I did the same thing ... put PFS in the spots where the plants are. Push the gravel aside and fill the void with PFS, making sure the root is firmly surrounded by PFS. If you just want to cover some gravel note that over time the sand will sift it's way through the gravel.

You could just inundate the gravel with so much sand that it just fills in the voids between the gravel.

Pfs is amazing!!! I just rid one of my aquariums of gravel and I now have PFS in 4 tanks ;)

if there is a lot of detritus in the gravel, covering it with sand may create some anaerobic areas. To avoid this I suggest either removing the gravel beforehand and cleaning the bottom well before adding sand, or at the least, stirring the gravel as you mix sand with it.

The aerobic bacteria colony on the gravel will probably die off when buried, since it's not getting any more o2 or water flow.

Back
Top Bottom