Seachem Stability + Nee Aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oakfishman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all

I need some assistance. I am getting into this hobby and learning everything by reading on forums and watching YouTube videos.
I recently bought a 40gallon aquarium, tidal 55 filter, air pump heater and lots of plants. I used seachem prime on the day of the setup and kept the aquarium running for a whole week. I have been using seachem stability as instructed since day 1. On day 8 I went ahead and purchased some tetras (8). I have been using seachem stability everyday to further establish good bacteria and might be overdosing since the instructions ask to use only till day 7.. It’s been day 11 and the fish look extremely healthy. I have been testing my water for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates every day and I don’t find any traces- all are 0.
Does this mean my tank is cycled and can I buy more fish?

I look forward for your expert advise.

Thanks.

Usually to make sure if a tank is cycled you need to wait until nitrates appear (the waste ammonia/nitrite is getting processed). I believe you should wait until some nitrate appears on the test readings.

There are some way more knowledgeable people on the forum and they might have a different opinion though.

I hope you enjoy your tank!

Usually to make sure if a tank is cycled you need to wait until nitrates appear (the waste ammonia/nitrite is getting processed). I believe you should wait until some nitrate appears on the test readings.

There are some way more knowledgeable people on the forum and they might have a different opinion though.

I hope you enjoy your tank!

Wondering if the plants and moss is keeping the nitrates 0 but can certainly wait a bit longer. Thank you

No way of knowing if you are "cycled". It looks like you have enough cycle alongside the plants to support the current bioload, but there is no way of knowing if you are cycled and can fully stock.

If you are consistently seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite then you can safely add some more fish, like an additional 25 to 30% bioload. Keep on with daily testing, manage water parameters with water changes if you see ammonia and/or nitrite. Again if you are consistently seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite add another 25 to 30% bioload. Rinse and repeat until fully stocked.

A few reasons why you might not be seeing nitrate.

- You are doing the nitrate test incorrectly. This is very common with API liquid test. Shake the heck out of bottle #2.
- You arent cycled, but due to low bioload and plants the ammonia and nitrite isnt getting to readable levels and nothing is processing to nitrate.
- You are cycled, but due to low bioload and plants the nitrate isnt getting to readable levels.

No way of knowing if you are "cycled". It looks like you have enough cycle alongside the plants to support the current bioload, but there is no way of knowing if you are cycled and can fully stock.

If you are consistently seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite then you can safely add some more fish, like an additional 25 to 30% bioload. Keep on with daily testing, manage water parameters with water changes if you see ammonia and/or nitrite. Again if you are consistently seeing 0ppm ammonia and nitrite add another 25 to 30% bioload. Rinse and repeat until fully stocked.

A few reasons why you might not be seeing nitrate.

- You are doing the nitrate test incorrectly. This is very common with API liquid test. Shake the heck out of bottle #2.
- You arent cycled, but due to low bioload and plants the ammonia and nitrite isnt getting to readable levels and nothing is processing to nitrate.
- You are cycled, but due to low bioload and plants the nitrate isnt getting to readable levels.

Thanks for the great tips. I did realize I wasn’t checking nitrates correctly but even after testing it again as per the instructions it still show as 0. I am going to take your advise and buy 1 bristlenose pleco, the reason I am buying it now is I have some fungus on my new driftwood which it will eat and also it’s poop will generate some ammonia.

Try to keep your ammonia + nitrite combined below 0.5ppm. If it goes above 0.5ppm combined do 25% water change. If it gets above 1ppm combined do 50% change or 2 x 25% changes a few hours apart. If you increase stock slowly you shouldn't see these kind of levels, but at least you know what to look for and what to do if they elevate. Do 25% water change per week regardless.

Back
Top Bottom