See through fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jenema

Aquarium Advice Activist
Okay guys. I need some fish suggestions. After watching my aquarium, my boyfriend decided he wants one. I have a spare 10g I have to him. He really just wants something that "looks cool" and is really looking for some kind of transparent fish. I know his options are limited in a 10g but he's never had a fish before and I think he needs to start small. Can anyone help me out here on some suggestions of transparent fish for a 10g?

Sent from my LGLS991 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

After the tank is set up and cycled (avg 40 days) tetras. There are some transparent ones that will do fine in 10g.

Last edited:
After the tank is set up and cycled (avg 40 days) tetras. There are some transparent ones that will do fine in 10g.

I have filter media to give him from one of my tanks so it will be fully cycled from the start

I was kinda hoping that was a joke..but I wasn't sure so I didn't reply.

Every now and then we see new members who make very poor suggestions. Often the admins will remove the posts. But perhaps not before someone goes in a wrong direction. So please always do more research to confirm info given.

Every now and then we see new members who make very poor suggestions. Often the admins will remove the posts. But perhaps not before someone goes in a wrong direction. So please always do more research to confirm info given.

I always do tons of research before I get anything. Honestly I think its one of my favorite parts.

Here are 2 "glass" fish that can do well in a 10 gal. Glass fish ( the kind they paint but before they are painted) and Glass catfish. Both of these stay small enough to be in a 10. Both are kinda spooky looking because you can see their bones and organ sac ( you can't see the actual organs. :whistle: ) (y)

X-Ray Pristella tetra and Glowlight Tetra have a bit of a "see-through" look if I remember right.

Glass catfish actually need to be in at least groups of five, more is better. They also can be picky feeders, I would say good for a bigger tank, but not a 10g

Sent from my SM-G930T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Micro rasbora have some spots but are basically clear & green neon rasbora are tinted green/yellow but are see-through as well. Both good for a 10g

Glass catfish actually need to be in at least groups of five, more is better. They also can be picky feeders, I would say good for a bigger tank, but not a 10g

While I do agree that they should be in groups and not singles, "picky" eaters is not really an accurate description. They do have a more preferred diet so they won't eat just anything but when given the right food, they will eat like pigs.

To your point about tank size, since they are not active swimmers, a 10 gal ( 20" x 10" x 12" ) is more than enough for them and I've kept them for years in that sized tank with no ill effects. There are a few types of glass cats that do get larger but the ones most often kept only grow to about 3" so a 20" long tank is fine. ;) The next thing to deal with is tankmates. They don't like to be stressed so a community of peaceful fish is a must for them no matter the tank size. (y).

I use picky for fish that you can't just throw some pellets or flakes in the tank and be done with feeding them. Everything I've found online suggested 30g minimum for them, so I was going by that.

I use picky for fish that you can't just throw some pellets or flakes in the tank and be done with feeding them. Everything I've found online suggested 30g minimum for them, so I was going by that.

So you believe everything you read on the internet? ;) ;) :lol: JK :brows:
Picky is a concept because some fish will eat some flakes or some pellets but not all even from the same container. It's one of the reasons there are so many different foods out there because there is no "1 size fits all" for fish.

I also prefer to give advice from actual personal experience over what is written online as there is a lot of misinformation out there. And I have the experience with these fish, ( a ton of it. ;) ) Just remember, just because, say, 100 people tell a lie does not mean that it becomes the truth. It's still a lie. ;) (y)

Well when I find only one person saying a ten over multiple people saying thirty, I tend to go with majority. Glad yours have worked out. And I am aware of the different needs for food types, I would still consider them picky as they seem to prefer live and frozen vs just pellets or flakes. Hopefully OP has found enough information to decide on a setup their boyfriend would enjoy.

I guess that's the difference between knowing what you are doing and hoping you know what you are doing. ;) ;) :D I don't find them picky at all.....when you feed them the right food. :whistle:
But I agree, hopefully the OP can make a decision with good information. (y)

Back
Top Bottom