Seeding 110 from 55

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

herp_mommy

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have a few questions about seeding a filter. I'm setting up a 110 and I'd like to use the old filter media from my 55 to jump start the cycling process. Does the bacterial load depend on the amount of fish or the size of the water column? Should I add the same amount of fish that I had in the 55 to the 110 with the seeded material? add more? less? When can I expect the bacteria to be high enough to handle the 110gal? I plan on putting discus into the 110, but I'll be keeping mollies or some other hardy fish until the bio filter is up to par. Any input would help

The bacteria colonies depend on the amount of waste in the tank, not the water volume. A 55g filter may not move enough water to handle a 110g, but the bacteria colony should be enough.

The bacteria colonies depend on the amount of waste in the tank, not the water volume. A 55g filter may not move enough water to handle a 110g, but the bacteria colony should be enough.

I've got a larger filter for the 110, I was just worried that the bacterial colony wouldn't be large enough to handle fish in a 110. But that's good to know, thanks!

Back
Top Bottom