Seeding a Fluval Ebi

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

digitallinh

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi,

I have an established 29 gallon about a month old(my first tank, tetracycle, been reading 0's for weeks now), and just picked up an ebi from amazon that I'm planning to breed cherry shrimp in to feed my fish.

My question is in regards to Cycling the ebi. If I were to run the nano filter in my established tank, how long would it take for the bacteria to grow inside the nank filter, at least enough for my shrimp?

Would I have to increase the fish load in order to spur the bacteria to grow in the new filter?

Would taking some of the rings inside my canister and putting them in the nano filter be a better way? Would this cause a mini cycle in my main tank, which is heavily planted/dosed?

Any thoughts on the best approach would be appreciated.

Hello,

If you were to put the nano filter on the main tank, it should take as long as any other tank filter to cycle ~ about 3-4 weeks.

If you put some media from the main tank into the nano filter, it would be the best way to go. It won't mess up your main tank though (As long as you still have some established media still left). Now, when you put the established media in the nano filter and start running, you are going to have to start adding the shrimp 2-3 days after (If not, the media will slowly die away due to the lack of ammonia).

Hello,

I can't tell the equivilant amount, but enough to fill up where the sponge was suppose to be.

Back
Top Bottom