Seeding an AC bio-max in fish bowl?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jcdaddi

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,

I am a newbie and have started reading more about his hobby.

I am going to switch from a fish bowl (6 months+ old) to a 10 gallon fish tank. I have bought an Aquaclear 20 HOB. I plan to use Tetra Safestart to start the cycle of the new tank.

I probably won't switch over until the weekend when I will have more chance to do the water tests and monitor the levels.

I am wonder if it will be beneficial to put the bio-max media (that comes with the AC 20) in the fist bowl for the next few days. The fish bowl doesn't have a filter. If I do so, the bio-max will just sit at the bottom of the fish bowl. Will it help seed the bacteria in the new tank?

Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

My first question is what fish do you have? The filter will be fine, depending on what fish you have.

Thanks for your reply. They are 2 small goldfish (i think they are comet) that my kids got from a carnival.

I understand the general recommendation is to get a larger tank but a 10 g is what our family could agree upon at this point. We may upgrade in a few years if needed. Thanks again.

Oh geez. Okay, so here's what's what:

A 10 gallon is better than a soup bowl. But you have to understand goldfish. They have no stomaches, so they're always hungry. That, and the second they digest they basically poop immediately. What this means is a lot of poop on the bottom of the tank. More poop means more ammonia, which in turn leads to death unless you have a good biology. Good biology means that you have the good bacteria for turning ammonia to nitrate to nitrite. 6 month old bowl is okay, but I'm not sure if beneficial bacteria have grown. Like I said before though, a 10 g is better than a soup bowl. The best option is to fill up the tank with enough space for the bowl water, and let it sit for about 1-2 weeks. Then put your fish and water from the bowl into said tank. At least by that point it has a short cycle. If you would really do the best for these fish, buy at least a 20-30 gallon tank for them. Let that tank cycle properly for about 1-2 months, then introduce the fish. Have six time the filtration (30x6=180 gallons per hour) pumping in said tank. Gravel vacuum the tank every weekend, doing a 30% water change. Replace the filter cartridges/carbon/sponge every 2 weeks.
Or, buy a fish pond of any size and set that up.
I'm guessing you don't have those funds, so you're 10 gallon is a stretch, but it's better than a bowl. I've heard of goldfish living for many years in small tanks, but it takes commitment and research. Find out what will happen in your tank, and anything else you may wonder. And happy fish keeping!

Thanks, Deadna.

We do commit to do the weekly gravel vacuum, water change, etc.

Thank you for your advice on how to start the new tank. We will give it a shot!

I agree a 10 is better than a bowl. However as the fish grow, in about a year or so, you should upgrade your tank. Rule of thumb for goldfish is 20g minimum for one and 10+ gallons for each one after. I would suggest you upgrade to a 40 breeder tank in the next year for the two fish. They have a huge bio load so be sure if you do that you have adequate filtration. I'm a huge fan of aquaclear filters also. They are great HOB. With a 40 breeder I'd go with an AC 70. I don't know how big comets get but that rule is for fantails or Goldie's that get 6-8". Good luck with your fishes!

I agree a 10 is better than a bowl. However as the fish grow, in about a year or so, you should upgrade your tank. Rule of thumb for goldfish is 20g minimum for one and 10+ gallons for each one after. I would suggest you upgrade to a 40 breeder tank in the next year for the two fish. They have a huge bio load so be sure if you do that you have adequate filtration. I'm a huge fan of aquaclear filters also. They are great HOB. With a 40 breeder I'd go with an AC 70. I don't know how big comets get but that rule is for fantails or Goldie's that get 6-8". Good luck with your fishes!

Thanks, FishyBusiness!

Back
Top Bottom