Seeding tropical aquarium with pond media?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunday

Aquarium Advice Newbie
(AKA nitrite woes)

I am new to the hobby and have a 5g/25L planted tank I would like to kick start the cycle with. I was told that I would be set up and ready to go within three days of running empty but having done research this is definitely not the case...

I currently have one betta in there but it's going through the nitrite spike and despite frequent (3-4x per day) water changes of 25-75%, I'm not able to keep it down enough for my liking! Ammonia is at 0-0.25 and nitrites vary from 0.25 to over 2ppm. My tap water tests at 0 nitrites. I haven't got a nitrate kit unfortunately. I live in the UK and prime is near impossible to get hold of so I am using stress coat instead. The plants I have are java fern, crypt, amazon sword, two marimo balls (one small, one large), and a type of South American grass. The grass is planted but the sword and crypt are still in the plastic pots I bought them in as I haven't been able to put substrate in properly yet. I have started using Pure Aquarium bacteria balls in my filter upon recommendation but not sure they've made much difference.

My betta is very active and looks happy however I have noticed the formation of a little bit of red around his gills which I'm worried about. I have been using AQ salt for the past two days to try to help him deal with any nitrites built up between water changes (please tell me if this is the wrong thing to do, I am very new to all this). He has a bit of fraying on his anal fin that could be the early stages of fin rot which I am also worried about - I am really keen to keep his water clean especially because of these reasons. I am using stress coat to treat the tap water to hopefully help with his fins. I feel like a bit of a terrible person putting him through this but I have fallen in love with his curious personality already and he is friendly and happy despite the frequent water change disruption.

I have a koi/goldfish pond outside which is well established and has a huge filtration system, and I am wondering if I could seed my small internal filter with media from there? I was thinking that if it was warmed up slowly the bacteria would acclimatise and hopefully work in the fish tank! I'm not sure however as despite a google search there wasn't much on the topic and I don't want to put my betta at risk. This nitrite spike is horrible though! Thank you for your help!

Thank you! That is also my concern, particularly as there seemed to be some weird pond living larvae wiggling around in the filters when I took a peek in there yesterday (I am not the person who maintains the pond btw so I don't reeeally know exactly what's going on in there). On the one hand I would love to have the opportunity for an instant cycle but don't want to risk my betta. Even with over 5 changes today of 25 and 50%s the nitrite levels are still way up though, I swear they rise within minutes! I am chucking more Pure Aquarium balls to see if they will help but it's horrendously frustrating. I know I'm in for the hard slog though to keep Sunday happy and healthy.

On the topic of instant cycling and seeding, does anyone know any LFSs which are helpful with giving away a bit of filter media? Or even buying some I don't care haha! Pets at Home and Maidenhead Aquatics are two closest to me. Thank you.

Easiest thing to do is call them, truly. The ones that do will know what you're talking about.

Back
Top Bottom