Seeking advice on what Im thinking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Hbbambislayer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi all new member I've been thinking about a aquarium for a few months lots of reading to educate as much as I can so I've come up with what I'm thinking for my new tank, hopefully have money needed saved so next month I'll be buying. I know I'm doing a 55gal tropical. I'm looking for advice, options or whatever input you all have on my direction for filters heaters and such. I'm leaning towards the following, 2 fluval 306, 2 jager 150watt heaters coupled with Ranco controller, Fishless cycle I'm in no hurry, seachem prime for dechlorination, tetra safe start for starting bacteria, I'll get API master tet kit, fake plants, thinking replica driftwood, sand substrate probably but concerned about it with the aqueon water changer so maybe gravel. Fish well nothing to cool I like those dumb little community fish guppies, tetras, sword tails things like that. Anyways I'm interested if this sounds good what you'd change any advice good or bad welcomed and appreciated this is a big purchase for me and dont want to mess it up to bad, also tips on the filters setups are needed as leave them as there setup standard or something different like using carbon or not or using that zeo carb instead, 306 has 3 baskets you all probably knew that sorry but just interested to see what your suggesting. From what I've read temperature be 76 degrees. Also about filters since I'll have 2, suggestions on placement for outputs needed I'm thinking 1 going towards front of tank and other aiming from 1 side to the other, heaters will be submerged and under the intakes I'm thinking also. For now I guess this is it, I'm sure I'll be asking again more stuff later sorry so long. Thank you all in advance for your time and input.

Just as my first thought the heating and filtration sound a bit of over kill. Then again it makes it more reliable but keep an eye on the temperature while doing fishless cycle as two heaters can ,in my experience, cause the water to overheat. It all sounds great but why not try some live plants? If you buy them bunched you just need to pile some sand up around them and they will grow well. For a community tank sand works best for me but I would add something like shrimp(cherry shrimp ,bamboo shrimp and amano shrimp are all good) or catfish(hoplo catfish and various corries) to keep it looking clean. Enjoy your new tank!

Just to add the filter placement sounds good but I would try to put the heaters near them so they will be more effective. I would also put the filters as far away from each other as possible to maximise the flow around the tank.

I think I like the idea of 2 heaters I can go smaller on them was going to place them under the intakes' I wanted 2 filters because if something happens there's a backup for alittle bit till I get it fixed but this is why I'm asking, now your other point plants maybe 1 day but for starters I'm gonna focus on keeping fish alive

For heating if I had two i would probably only go for 75 or 100 watts(only my opinion though stick with what you feel comfortable with). Under the filters should spread the heat around the tank nicely especially as there would be two. You have thought about this a lot ,I'm impressed. Good luck

Would 2 100watt heat 55 gallon tank they would be 1" shorter than 150 making them easier to hide that'd be nice. I've just been reading a lot that's all, mostly on here taking in all I can and picking what I tink may be best

Wow. I WISH I had your forethought and planning a month ago when I stumbled out of Petsmart after impulsively purchasing my aquarium. Im still scrambling to learn things. So many things I would have done differently...

Sounds like you're going to have an awesome set up. I'm looking forward to hearing how it goes. If you have a mind to, maybe set up a journal thread when you start putting things together.

Would 2 100watt heat 55 gallon tank they would be 1" shorter than 150 making them easier to hide that'd be nice. I've just been reading a lot that's all, mostly on here taking in all I can and picking what I tink may be best

Most people suggest 3-5 watts per gal so 2 100 watts should be fine

Replying to Coyne what is a journal thread, I'd like to share setting it up on here may make it easier for future questions and someone could stop me if they think I'm doing something wrong

And to reply to cardex that makes me like the idea of the 100s plus save me 3 dollars each

1 last thing I meant to add to my first post with all my questions, I am gonna get the 55 from pet smart it comes with a hood and lights there 2 24" t8 bulb fixture things is that ok or do I need to consider something else, thanks again for your advices!!!

Lights it comes with will be fine for awhile for low light plants, if you aren't doing plants then a light will be for your convenience. Fish don't care about it except they usually think you're gonna feed them if you turn it on!!!:lol:

Make sure you have a very sturdy stand for it. Water is SOOO heavy.

Plants can be beneficial to your tank and fish. Look for low light options. There are plenty of threads for low light. Moss, Anubias, Echinodorus are some.

If I understood putting pictures up I'd show my stand I built its sturdy, I know plants are good and I'm thinking I may but right now I'm just checking up on my initial setup make sure it's ok first I've been reading for a few weeks on planted tanks though.

Let me try this I'm on my phone if it works heres some pics of the stand

Attachments

• image-3830415001.jpg
    image-3830415001.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 36
  • image-1429449361.jpg
    image-1429449361.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 41
  • image-3723940496.jpg
    image-3723940496.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 38
  • image-1678165681.jpg
    image-1678165681.jpg
    168.9 KB · Views: 38
It's all 2x4 constuction top bottom legs wrapped with birch plywood stained in minwax gunstock 2 coats and 2 coats of minwax poly just need tank so I can use it to set the 1/4" cork that will be the buffer between tank and stand

Not sure if you've read my first post but if not maybe u could see if my thought process is ok thus far, 2 members together convinced me to change size of heaters to 100watt but other than that still trying to collect thoughts

Just be sure to test the weight a 55 gallon tank is going to be 5-600 lbs so get 2 fat friends jump on top and do the hokey pokey for an hour be sure to record the video and post to YouTube

Best idea ever cardex. Also I ran two heaters and was glad I did when I brought the water level too low and one broke. Still need to replace it. Tip I learned since then. Put the heater horizontal at the bottom of tank. Much less fears of taking out to much water. And I think it spreads the water around tank better.

Back
Top Bottom