Seeking Advice - stocking 54 Gal corner bow

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aqua Chris

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am picking up my tank this weekend and will begin the fishless cycle within the month. This will be a planted tank with an Eheim 2215 filter and an Air pump or two. I plan on doing a 30% water change every week or so.

I need help to firm up how I will stock my tank as follows:

Absolute requirements:
1 Polypterus (Bichir) 12" - do I go with senegalus or palmas palmas?
7 Tiger barbs 3" - active scholling fish
1 Rainbow Shark 6" - very active and son LOVES sharks

Option 1) add:
1 African Butterfly Fish 5" - unique, top swimmer, special diet, not active
1 Raphael Catfish 6" - great bottom cleaner
2 Banded Peckoltia 4" - look good, OK cleaners and algae eaters, not active
TOTAL = 58"

Option 2) add:
2 Siamese Algae Eaters 6" - very active, great algae eaters always
TOTAL = 57"

Option 3) add:
1 Bristlenose Catfish 6" - great bottom cleaner and algae eater
TOTAL = 51"

If I had just 1 catfish to go with the Bichir, shoudl I take the Raphael OR the Bristlenose? I know options 1 and 2 are a little overstocked, but can that be remedied by a second filter, or will the bottom feeders help to offset the overcrowding?

Any feedback frmo experienced hobbyists or professionals is very much appreciated.:thanks:

What's the dimensions on this tank?

The thing with corner tanks is that they usually have a small foot space when compared to a regular rectangular tank, which can effect how you are able to stock your tank.

Typically you can not stock a hex/corner tank the same way you stock a regular tank. They generally need to be under stocked because of the shape. Where you have a lot of semi-aggressive fish in the lower level of your water column I'm not sure your tank will be big enough to do exactly what you would like to with it.

I do not know a lot about semi-aggressive fish and hopefully someone will chime in for that but I can say that plecos have a pretty big bioload, they will help clean up extra food but they generally make more waste than they prevent..

Thanks for your reply. The tank is a square 27.5" long each wall, 38.5" from end point to end point with a 46.5" length of bow glass across the front. I plan on planting the back corner and adding a couple of stacked caves there as it is not good swimming space. I will plant along the walls and have a very cool piece of root to place near one of the front corners. The tank gives up the length of a rectangular tank, but creates about 20% more open water circular space than a rectangle. Many of the hex tanks I looked at were higher than wide making them good for angel fish, but not much else as fish mainly swim on the same level. 2 stores confirmed the corner tank is better suited to the Bichir.

I very much agree with Librarygirl.

I would be hesitant to hop to the suggestions of a store. A corner tank may be better suited to a bichiri but it still needs to be big enough to support the fish and even bigger if you want to have more bottom dwellers

I am sensing that you are both reluctant to suggest a bichir for my tank :eek:)
I am looking for a visually unique and active tank. If I opt not to pick up a bichir, what other cool fish are there? Any suggestions? I was originally thinking Khuli loaches but the bichir would eat them. I am also really concerned about ich.

Suggestions please...:nono:

I'm not certain on the shape of the tank and this stock, I also struggle with a tank shape and stocking that is not your usual shape. lol. but I have heard people having great success with some of these fish with TB and rainbow shark and may be something for you to look into

clown loach
kulii loach
serpea tetra
rams
boesmani rainbows

again I'm not saying all of these will be suitable for your tank but just wanted to throw something out there to see what you thought of going with something that was visually interesting but not aggressive.

Bowfronts are very nice tanks but they do have a small footprint here is my planted tank and my stock is in my profile all my fish get around great and have good room for territory.

I wouldn't suggest a bichir and believe me I've wanted one for my tank also. Instead I opted out for a brown African knife and peacock eel combo.

If I had the room I would definitely do some gold dojo loaches, they don't get as big as a bichir but they look great.

Attachments

• image-1212841042.jpg
    image-1212841042.jpg
    171.4 KB · Views: 161
Now we are getting somewhere! Thank you for these new suggestions. I will look into them tonight. The tank is in the shape of a baseball diamond. I will seriously reconsider the bichir, and I appreciate your comments. I just want to be successful with a fun tank my 4 year old will appreciate.

I would recommend a pair of kribensis. They are super fun to watch. I had them in with 8 tiger barbs.

They can get very aggressive but mine were fine.

I would go with the serpae tetras. Problem is you can't really keep them with anything else.

Back
Top Bottom