Set up of my "new" 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Andrew McFadden said:
I think its time for salt water lol
Nice find there momma

Lol I would love to have a saltwater tank! I'm still learning all I can about freshwater first and then I'll tackle the salt water! I need more time, patience, and money when it comes to taking care of saltwater and with 4 boys under 5... Lol time is not something I have much of! :)

Mommaof4boys said:
Lol I would love to have a saltwater tank! I'm still learning all I can about freshwater first and then I'll tackle the salt water! I need more time, patience, and money when it comes to taking care of saltwater and with 4 boys under 5... Lol time is not something I have much of! :)

I was trying to think of something that you could keep changing. Because you keep buying more tanks lol how many do you have now? You could start with a fowlr ( fish only with live rock) tank and just keep upgrading to more fish and lights and corals and so on and so on lol as time and money become better.

Anyways

There are some Cichlids you can keep with plants and some its just recommended not to. I know people that have got away with plants and some that have been destroyed. With me I couldn't keep them it drove me crazy seeing the live ones all torn up and dug up, the fake ones drove me crazy too. Here is a picture of my tank and you'll see you can still have fun with just rocks

View attachment 105233

For me its the fish I'm trying to show off not the plants.

I hope this helps and ill stop rambling now lol plus I'm not trying to talk ya into anything just trying to give ya stuff to think about. ;)

Last edited:
I threw a power head into my newest take I. A whim and have been very pleased with it. My 76 has an internal overflow as its a reef tank that I'm using for freshwater. The power head helps keep a strong current moving which allows for much better circulation and therefore better filtration. I ended up putting one on my smaller 55 a couple days ago.

Andrew McFadden said:
I was trying to think of something that you could keep changing. Because you keep buying more tanks lol how many do you have now? You could start with a fowlr ( fish only with live rock) tank and just keep upgrading to more fish and lights and corals and so on and so on lol as time and money become better.

Anyways

There are some Cichlids you can keep with plants and some its just recommended not to. I know people that have got away with plants and some that have been destroyed. With me I couldn't keep them it drove me crazy seeing the live ones all torn up and dug up, the fake ones drove me crazy too. Here is a picture of my tank and you'll see you can still have fun with just rocks

For me its the fish I'm trying to show off not the plants.

I hope this helps and ill stop rambling now lol plus I'm not trying to talk ya into anything just trying to give ya stuff to think about. ;)

Your tank is amazing! If my tank could look half as awesome as yours I wouldn't mind rocks at all! Lol :)

Mcass said:
I threw a power head into my newest take I. A whim and have been very pleased with it. My 76 has an internal overflow as its a reef tank that I'm using for freshwater. The power head helps keep a strong current moving which allows for much better circulation and therefore better filtration. I ended up putting one on my smaller 55 a couple days ago.

My filters are going to have an over flow into the tank, but I might need to check into those a little further! :) thank you!

Ohhh my goodness! I cleaned 80lbs of rock and started on the sand.... Holy cow! I'm still on my first bag and I've been rinsing for 2 hours! Lol My arms hurt!

Sorry for the delay, hubby and I had been trying to figure out whether we were moving or not, so the tank has kinda taken a back burner. We started setting it up today though, and so far we've got the rocks and the sand in! What do you think? I'm open to any suggestions! We had a fairly difficult time getting the rocks set up to leave enough room for hiding places, and the water isn't in yet so I can still move stuff around if need be!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120728_222721.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120728_222721.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 109
  • ForumRunner_20120728_222839.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120728_222839.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20120728_222847.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120728_222847.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 96
  • ForumRunner_20120728_222854.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120728_222854.jpg
    59.2 KB · Views: 101
  • ForumRunner_20120728_222908.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120728_222908.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 97
I think it looks like a good start
I like your choice of a non tessalating shape of rock i think its much more natural. when i aquascape i always try and see what the natural look of the tank is and go from there. So there are uneven spots, spots that are large ect...

Jason7894561230 said:
I think it looks like a good start
I like your choice of a non tessalating shape of rock i think its much more natural. when i aquascape i always try and see what the natural look of the tank is and go from there. So there are uneven spots, spots that are large ect...

Thank you!

Looks great I would say to add a few live plants and a couple nice size pieces if driftwood would look great. You could probably hide a couple of cichlid stones in the rocks you already have also to give some bigger caverns.

You should totally stock it with discus you wont regret it! I was afraid because of how hard everyone says they are to keep I have mine in a 55 gal and they are doing great. I've had many fish none of them had as much personality as my discus. They made me fall in love with the hobby again I say you should go for it

Looks great I would say to add a few live plants and a couple nice size pieces if driftwood would look great. You could probably hide a couple of cichlid stones in the rocks you already have also to give some bigger caverns.

I wouldn't know where to put anything else!! :lol: I thought about some plants, but are unsure of where to put them as well... they would have to go on some driftwood and I'm unsure of where to put that.. I have a few small pieces from my other tank but I dunno where they would fit in!! I'll check out the cichlid stones... Thank you! :)

You should totally stock it with discus you wont regret it! I was afraid because of how hard everyone says they are to keep I have mine in a 55 gal and they are doing great. I've had many fish none of them had as much personality as my discus. They made me fall in love with the hobby again I say you should go for it

I am absolutely going to try a discus tank in the future... right now, I think I am going to go with some cichlids... then I'll try the discus! :)

Mommaof4boys said:
I am absolutely going to try a discus tank in the future... right now, I think I am going to go with some cichlids... then I'll try the discus! :)

That's cool figured I would throw my love of discus out there lol my other 55 gal tank Is a malawi cichlid tank I love them both I figured that's what u were going for when I saw all the rocks

Jesselav1233 said:
That's cool figured I would throw my love of discus out there lol my other 55 gal tank Is a malawi cichlid tank I love them both I figured that's what u were going for when I saw all the rocks

Hi there , what other fish do u keep with your discus ? Thanks

Animal fanatic said:
Hi there , what other fish do u keep with your discus ? Thanks

I have a dojo loach, angel fish, neons, another silver tetra with yellow fins I think called Pristilla or something and a few different kinds of catfish and a male Betta fish I would post a pic but this darn app won't let me lol

Jesselav1233 said:
I have a dojo loach, angel fish, neons, another silver tetra with yellow fins I think called Pristilla or something and a few different kinds of catfish and a male Betta fish I would post a pic but this darn app won't let me lol

Fantastic selection you have there with your discus , I got 2 new discus today there really nice and they have settled in with my community very fast :) also can someone help me to identify what breed of discus they are thanks

image-4011550896.jpg

Attachments

• image-2424094131.jpg
    image-2424094131.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 44
Animal fanatic said:
Fantastic selection you have there with your discus , I got 2 new discus today there really nice and they have settled in with my community very fast :) also can someone help me to identify what breed of discus they are thanks
I think that's a blue diamond or an imperial blue discus (sold blue) and I think they call the other kind blue wave or turquoise

Back
Top Bottom