setting up 20 gallon freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aab102009

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I need help!

I'm setting up a 20 gallon high freshwater tank. In the tank I have placed about 1 inch of gravel, 2 ornaments and 3 air stones. I have the filter running for about 2 weeks. I tested the PH when I filled up the tank and it was 7.4, a bit high but I read that's within the range for goldfish. I tested the ammonia level and it held at about .25 for 2 weeks.

I bought two fan tailed goldfish and introduced them into the tank. one fish began to sit on the bottom of the tank, while the other remained at the water level. they both had labored breathing and little appetite.

I tested the PH and it was the same at 7.4. again I tested the ammonia and it was at .50 (maybe a bit lower). I did 50% water changes for 3 days, and they showed little improvement.

on the 4th day they both died. one of the fish had red gills, the other did not. other than the one having red gills, they showed no other signs like fin burn, or white spots

can someone tell me what I may have done wrong so I don't kill anymore fish?
I want to get more, however I cleaned out the tank, bought new gravel and re-started the process about 2 weeks ago.

my water conditions are exactly the same now, (PH and ammonia) this time I purchased a bacteria starter (top fin) but I have not used it yet because I've read mixed reviews

please help me !!!!

A. a 20g is not big enough for Goldfish except as a temp solution. 2 Goldfish I'd recommend a 40g but bigger is better.

B. Ph is usually a non issue. Don't stress about Ph.

C. Read up on Cycling a tank. Just letting it sit does nothing to prepare it for fish.

You need to build up Beneficial Bacteria so that when you add fish, your BB will convert the Ammonia fast enough to keep your fish safe.

What water conditioner are you using ? Prime is a favorite.

On YouTube SolidGold Aquatics has great GF videos.

You didn't need new gravel. You need Zero Ammonia before adding fish. Test your tap water without conditioner. Then add conditioner and test again.

Prime does not remove Ammonia, but it does make it safer for 24 hours...good to keep on hand.

hi and thank you!

I used Aqua Safe Water conditioner both the first time and now again when I re-filled the tank. I also put a couple flakes of food into the tank the last few days, hoping to start growing some bacteria. today I bought a bacteria starting supplement from topfin, but I'm reading both good and bad reviews on it so I'm not sure if I want to use it.

from what I've read so far I should be waiting for the ammonia to spike, then come back down to zero which will mean the bacteria is up and running?

would you happen to know how much pure ammonia I should put into the 20 gallon to raise the level from about .5 to the 4 ? and would it be 1 dose per day? thanks again!

I'm not sure on how many drops you will need. Try adding 1 drop per gallon to see what it gives you and adjust from there. You do not need to be exact just shoot for 3ppm. You do not add anymore until ammonia reads 0. Be prepared to stare at a empty tank for at least a month cycling a new tank takes time but it must be done. If you do not have it yet I highly suggest you get a API master test kit to measure with.

I'm not sure on how many drops you will need. Try adding 1 drop per gallon to see what it gives you and adjust from there. You do not need to be exact just shoot for 3ppm. You do not add anymore until ammonia reads 0. Be prepared to stare at a empty tank for at least a month cycling a new tank takes time but it must be done. If you do not have it yet I highly suggest you get a API master test kit to measure with.

Great will do thanks again. I do have the testers, the ammonia is pretty consistent around .5. I've been adding some fish food but it doesn't seem to be adding to the ammonia level yet.

Back
Top Bottom