Setting up 55 gallon with Bolivian rams.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FiveSix

Aquarium Advice Regular
I just introduced myself in the newbie area. I will use the search button for most of my basic questions, but I have to ask for a few specific recommendations for what I am looking for. I have had tanks in the past and I know what I want, but it's been so long most of my knowledge on compatibility and so on has been lost.

My general idea is to setup a 55 gallon FW tank with Bolivian rams, neon tetras and a couple of corydoras. If that is bad let me know now please:foot:!!! I would like to have 1 male and female RAM, a small school of NEON tetras (thinking around 8-12) and 2 or 3 Corys (probably albino).

I am thinking the rams are peaceful enough to be housed together with neons, but threatening enough looks wise to cause the neons to school around, but I'm afraid the stress of the rams might compromise the neons immunity to disease. The Corys would complete the package deal! I generally like the driftwood look some stacked rock in a couple places for nice hiding places.

Hopefully everything I said is possible. I would like a few small plants thinking that it would help keep a healthier tank but if I'm not mistaken the rams like a dim tank.

How should I cycle and prepare this tank and in what steps and order should I add these fish, assuming everything I want is possible? Thanks all

Couple last questions....

1: Would this setup work? (fish compatibility)
2: Are the numbers of Fish too crowded for a 55g?
3: lighting recommendations?
4: Decoration recommendations?
5: Use R/O water?
6: hardware recommendation for filtration and water movement.

I don't know much about the Rams and what they would be compatible with, but I can help with some of the other questions.

With the Cories you'll want at least 5-6 as they are a schooling fish and much more comfortable in larger numbers.

For lighting what are your goals? Are you aiming for live plants or do you just want fake decor? Unless you want live plants, the stock lighting will be just fine.

No need to use RO water unless your tap water is a complete mess (ie you wouldn't even consider drinking it). Just use the tap and treat with a good declorinator like Prime.

Do you have a preference towards a specific type of filter? Generally you're going to see HOB and canisters recommended the most. Either would work just fine. For HOB the Aquaclears are a great brand.

For lighting what are your goals? Are you aiming for live plants or do you just want fake decor? Unless you want live plants, the stock lighting will be just fine.

I would like to keep some live plants like swords. would around 3 watts per gallon be enough and at what spectrum?

What about substrate? anything special needed?

Do you have a preference towards a specific type of filter? Generally you're going to see HOB and canisters recommended the most. Either would work just fine. For HOB the Aquaclears are a great brand.

If it were a perfect world I'd have a sump, but it's not lol so I'm probably going to go canister.

thanks for the info:D

So does anyone know what current they like? as far as powerheads. I will be using my old decorations which include drifwood and slate?

Generally you're looking for about 5gph total turnover in a planted aquarium. To grow most swords you would want at least 2WPG. If you go above that you'll likely find that you need to get into CO2 and fertilization. If you don't want to plant heavily then I wouldn't recommend going above 2 WPG. You can use regular uncoated gravel about 2-3mm in diameter, sand (pool filter sand is a good option), a specialty plant substrate, Turface MVP, et. All of these are fine options.

Since you want to get into live plants I highly recommend checking out the sticky at the top of the planted forum. There are links to lots of great information on taking care of a planted aquarium.

Your old decor should work out just fine with plants.

Generally you're looking for about 5gph total turnover in a planted aquarium. To grow most swords you would want at least 2WPG. If you go above that you'll likely find that you need to get into CO2 and fertilization. If you don't want to plant heavily then I wouldn't recommend going above 2 WPG. You can use regular uncoated gravel about 2-3mm in diameter, sand (pool filter sand is a good option), a specialty plant substrate, Turface MVP, et. All of these are fine options.

Since you want to get into live plants I highly recommend checking out the sticky at the top of the planted forum. There are links to lots of great information on taking care of a planted aquarium.

Your old decor should work out just fine with plants.

Great response, Thanks for the info. Anyone with german or Bolivian rams experience feel free to post:D

I have quite a bit of German Ram Experience. I bought four or six of them, at two different times and they all died (usually within a week or two)when every other fish in the tank was fine. It's a shame too b/c IMO they're stunningly beautiful.

Q: What did I learn?
A: They don't like alkaline/basic water, they like it acidic! If your ph is above 7 (mine is at 7.4) I wouldn't try them. They prefer it around 6.5.

It's black letter law around here that fish can tolerate a pH off their norm, so long as it is stable; but I've never had any luck w/ German Rams and I can't think of anything else it might be.

There are some great sites devoted to German Rams if you google them. I love em and love reading about em and checking out pics.

Last edited:
That's cool with me PITT420Dude. I like an acidic tank. I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with German Rams if I can find them. I cleaned my Old 55 gallon yesterday, but unfortunately the motor on My old Eheim Professional is burned out:-?. So now I am faced with a decision.

Do I go with a new Eheim Pro II, or get a Hang on?

Here are the 2 options I have right now. Basically I want the Eheim Pro II Unless it's overkill. If It's overkill I would go with An Emperor Hang on.

So what do you guys say?

an Emperor 400? = Tropical Aquarium Filters & Filtration: Marineland Emperor BIO-Wheel Powerfilters

or Eheim pro II? = Aquarium Filtration & Water Quality: Eheim Pro II Filter Kits

or aquaclear 70 Aquarium Filters: Hagen AquaClear Powerfilters

Once I get my filter I'm going to start a Fishless cycle, I'm pretty sure I'm going to use Pool filter sand mixed with some natural aquarium gravel.

I am looking to incluce a PAIR of Rams, school of Cardinal or NEON tetras and corys.

Last edited:
The AquaClear is a great HOB filter that doesn't have a BioWheel and is relatively inexpensive. If budget is the biggest factor, I'd probably go with a AquaClear.

Would you recommend adding peat to my system? If so where should I add it, the first or last stage of the filter? I bought the eheim 2026. I got my sand (lighthouse pool sand) 8.99 for 50 lbs!!!!!. I should have my filter by friday.

I was also wondering If I could set up the tank with a powerhead for 2 days untill my filter comes? This way when it comes I won't have too much work rinsing sand, adding 55 gallons of water, and all that.

Back
Top Bottom