Setting up a 55 gallon tank....help me please!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kris_toledo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi everyone, I am going to be purchasing a 55 gallon aquarium kit from a local pet store. I plan on putting 2 Tiger Oscars in the tank. I'm not even sure if the oscar is a freshwater or saltwater fish??? Anyways, does it matter if I get gravel or rocks for the bottom? I also read that an air pump is good. What does it do exactly? I hear that I have to wash the gravel before I put it into the tank. After all the decorations are all set up, do I just add normal tap water into the tank??? I"m sure that I have to add some conditioners into the tank to make sure that the tank is safe. I also know that I should run the tank for about a week before I put any fish in it. Is there anything else that I should know??? Oh yeah, I do know that each oscar needs about 50 gallons each...I'll probably get another 55 gallon when they both reach their full size. help me please...Thanks for your time... :p :wink: 8) :lol:

Setting up 55 gal. tank

Hi. As you already have found out a 55 gal. tank is going to be to small for two Oscars. These are fresh water fish. You will need to cycle your tank before adding the oscar's, Ph stablized, Ammonia & Nitrites to 0.
During your cycle phase add some danio's to help cycle the tank. Then either return them to the LFS if they will take them back or the oscar's will have dinner :D
Length of time to cycle a tank will vary from a week to a month depends on the tank. You didn't mention what type of filter you are planning on using. I would suggest a cannister filter (Ehiem or Fluval) as Oscar can be messy fish. Your substrate can be either sand or gravel with large stones & or drift wood as decorations and hiding spots for the fish, All have to be rinsed before going into the tank.
The air pump is for adding decorative bubbles and extra oxygen into the tank, This is not really needed it's one of those extra's you can add if you want it. The filter through water movement will help oxygenate the tank.

If you go to www.liveaquaria.com to the fresh water fish, then to south American Cichlids they will give you more information on these fish.
Good luck with your setup keep us posted.

EMS503

rocks??

I was just wondering I was able to put in any rocks that I wanted. Do they have to be particualarly for aquariums? or can I put in any rock that I want? I have some flat rocks at home outside, but I feel like they would be nice decorations in the tank. Can I do it?? Thanks

spell check!!

Sorry..I didn't read what I wrote out. The first sentance was supposed to say, I was wondering If I was able to put in any rock....

I used to live with a guy who had a 90 gal freshwater tank. We decorated the tank with a bunch of river rocks. The onlything that we did was boil the rocks for 10 min or so in a rolling boil.

Use something to drop the rocks in and to pull the VERY HOT rocks out of the pot. Let cool and then add them to the tank.

I recommend boiling the rocks to rid them of any potental nasties.

Don't know if I will hit all the areas in one posting but here goes...if you oscars are fairly small and you watch your water chemistry closely, you should have no problems cycling your tank with them, oscars are fairly tough fish....don't put just any rock in there though, you should do some testing on 'wildcaught rocks' before adding them in. by all means, boil them, i even soak them in bleach and then back in freshwater...then take a measurement of your tap water after it has sat out for 24 hours, then immerse your questionable rocks in the water for a few days, then remeasure all of your parameters....lots of rocks will contain minerals and such that will leech out into your water...you should feel safe if all parameters are unchanged from your original reading, any swings in levels indicate something is leeching...sounds like this is your first adventure in fishkeeping and if it is, i would suggest staying away from oscars at first--they are tough fish, but they have quite a few special care requirements...if you are dead set on them first off though, do much, much reading before buying your babies, because those 2 inches cuties can be 10 inch monsters in the first year, and although not especially aggressive, they will eat anyone in the tank that they can get a hold on, and as they grow bigger they do become somewhat more aggressive--individual personalities will vary, and oscars are very intelligent fish, so there is a rather wide variation...and as far as each needing 50 gallons---chances are they will demand it quite soon, especially if you are unlucky enough to get 2 males to start off, and you will be buying another tank rather soon--you may find that 50 gallons is too small, as these fish do attain a massive size for aquarium pets and they are quite powerful--they will overturn decorations, uproot fake and real plants, dig gravel out from under rocks and turn them over--which if they aren't carefully placed in adequately strong tank, burst your tank bottom...they are famous for attacking and destroying tank heaters, ramming glass hoods, sometimes until they break them, etc..they are easily bored and must find entertainment, and unfortunately their intelligence doesn't help them in self preservation aspects when they begin their little tirades...i have heard mine hit the top of the tank from UPSTAIRS!! and they aren't even full grown yet! they can become territorial if kept in smaller aquaria, and refuse to allow any tankmate to survive, and they are picky about which oscars they will live with too...just because you have a male and a female, does not mean that one will like the other and they will live happily ever after...they are south american cichlids and like relatively soft, acidic water, although they are somewhat tolerant of water conditions, this could be a problem with adding untested rocks...they are high, high level waste producers, require frequent tank cleanings to remove all the food they shred that gets wasted out of their gills, which is a lot! sometimes it doesn't look like they are actually eating anything! they do eat a lot, more than i would have imagined before ever keeping them myself....you will need a LOT of filtration, and LOTS of room for biological media to grow, you must be very careful not to disturb the bacterial colonies, especially after they get bigger, because of the enormous amounts of wastes that must be broken down to prevent their water fouling, and as for the air bubbles! they aren't necessary, but my oscars love to sit over the bubble disks!--you will definately need some powerful powerheads to agitate the water to increase oxygen available for both your oscars and your bacterial colonies....phew! all in all, if you want to keep oscars successfully you need to do much research and experiment with your water chemistry monitoring and maintaining your bacterial filtration without any hitches first--i would suggest starting off with something a little less involved to learn the ropes with, but if you are gonna try it now, you definately need to buy some books on fishkeeping, fish stress, water chemistry, cichlid aggression--primarily south american, because africans motives usually are a lot different from southies, water test kits, powerheads, powerful filters--not necessarily canister, there are some sufficient power filters out there, but you need to know what you need before you go--powerheads, python gravel cleaning kit or some substitute, basic fish meds in case you screw up, water conditioner, a big bottle cuz you are gonna need it!, etc....and you should be reminded that nitrate levels will escalate rather easily in such a tank, and if uncared for, will inhibit your buddies growth significantly and diminish his overall well being....also read up on hole in the head disease, it's rather prominent with new fishkeepers when keeping oscars--they need a wide variety in their diet for happiest fish, but you have to be careful with live foods and the introduction of disease, etc....and contrary to what some may say, your oscars can get along quite well without eating any feeder fish--mine eat worms, veggies, pellets, meats, etc. with absolutely no difficulty--you will soon find they will eat just about anything that falls into the tank...
and one last thing--you don't need to provide lots of hiding places unless you are planning on a bigger tank with other kinds of fish, oscars don't care much for hiding! lol, just the opposite--they wanna be SEEN!

WOW

Well thank you very much, I am very thankful for all the information that you provided me with. I think I will be starting off with the 2 oscars. Yes I will be doing all the research that I have to do, and yes, I will be doing a lot of reading, more than I have done already. This site is very helpful. Keep up the good work. Again, thank you very much, there will be more postings from me for sure, I'll have a million questions before those oscars get into the tank. I want the tank to be perfect for them cuz I'd want to keep the fish as long as I can. I just think that the tiger oscars are really wonderful fish. They look better than the piranha..hehehe..Okay, again, I'd like to say thanks for all the help. :p :) :eek: :lol: :lol: :eek: :) :p

Mine were kinda shy when they were little and you never saw them except to eat, when they get a few inches on them, you will just love them...they greet me at the end of the tank everytime i come in the door--if they see me get up they fly to the front of the tank and just beg for food! they are absolutely hilarious to watch, and you will probably find them very worth the little bit of extra effort! they are often referred to as dogs in a tank, and that is pretty appropriate.... :D --my kitty sits at the end of the tank on an arm chair--it's pretty funny to see the fish come over and stare down the cat!!! as long as you are prepared for their funky antics, you will probably be an instant oscar lover! I think they are by far the most interesting fish i have kept--and if well taken care of, your buddy will be with you for a long time! They play in the current from the powerheads, they chase bubbles...My albino lets me pet her belly, she nudges my arm when i am rearranging, they pout when you move their stuff...they are definately originals too, all 9 that i had were distinctly different in their personality and their behavior...oh, and i didn't mention it before, but there is a filter by TetraTec (?) that has a built in compartment for the heater so that they can't get to it....i have one of these and it has a large sponge for bacterial growth inside,and the water fluctuates over the sponge to alternate water and oxygen--very effective so far--getting to the point where i will need to add more filtration, cuz these pups are getting big! but so far it has been very efficient--it is supposed to pump 500gph, so it does move quite a bit of water....aquaclears are good, but i am not sure how big they go, i know they have a 300gph, at least i think that's right...anyways, hope this just helped get ya more excited about getting your new buddies, you will love them!!!

Hey, one thing...

Keep in mind some rocks, like limestone, will cause the water to turn alkaline. With fish like african cichlids, this is good, but not always.
To find out weather it it will make your water alkaline, drop a couple of drops of vinegar on it, if it fizzles, it'll make your pH soar.
Good luck!!!

Holly

hello

so all I have to do is drop some vinegar on the rocks, and if nothing happens to the rocks then they are fine? Thanks for all the help everyone!! :wink: :lol: :eek: 8) 8) :eek: :lol: :wink:

I am probably paranoid, but I don't trust the vinegar test--you may be fine, but i prefer to know what they are going to do to my water BEFORE i put them in, and the vinegar test doesn't seem to cover all the 'bases' lol......and yes limestone will leach into the water, but from what I have read when the ph hits 7, it is supposed to stop dissolving until the ph begins to drop--but that isn't from personal experience, because i don't use it.....

what if??

what if I took a picture of the rocks that I wanted to put in my aquarium, would that help at all??

Back
Top Bottom