Setting up a new 55G aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rayandlola

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am looking for specific advice. I have had a aquarium for 7 years now but until recently it has been home to a Turtle. We decided to convert to a Freshwater aquarium just before Christmas and since that time have been trying to get the Tank ready. After multiple clean outs and refills and replacement of all equipment we are still having major problems with Ammonia levels. We have used every option that we can get from our local Petsmart as well as a local Saluda Petstore and nothing is removing or reducing this Ammonia level (which is off the scale). I did a complete reset again last week and when the Tank was setup and water treated I tested and everything was perfect. I added 3 Goldfish and an Algae eater and 48 hours later all of them were dead and when I retested the water the Ammonia was again off the charts. I am at a total loss as to how to reduce this Ammonia level and nothing seems to be working. I am trying (as a last resort) baking soda which was suggested from Petsmart as probably the only option left. If anyone can offer any suggestions It would be gratefully appreciated.

If you're doing a cycle with fish I would recommend something other than goldfish to do so. Pick up some feeder minnows or a danio. You'll need to do 25% water changes every few days and eventually the bacteria will begin to grow that converts ammonia to nitrite.

What kind of filter are you running? Do you have some kind of media for the bacteria to colonize? (biomax etc)

I just read somewhere that bio waste can accumulate in between the seals of the tank. This may be the source of your ammonia.

Just read up on that link that was posted by Dragon and that will explain everything you need to know. Ammonia builds up in aquariums and if there isn't a good growth of beneficial bacteria in the tan kthen the ammonia will build up and kill everything.

If you're doing a cycle with fish I would recommend something other than goldfish to do so. Pick up some feeder minnows or a danio. You'll need to do 25% water changes every few days and eventually the bacteria will begin to grow that converts ammonia to nitrite.

What kind of filter are you running? Do you have some kind of media for the bacteria to colonize? (biomax etc)

I would bump from 25% up to 50%

I just read somewhere that bio waste can accumulate in between the seals of the tank. This may be the source of your ammonia.

Do you have a link?

Back
Top Bottom