Setting up a new FW aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zidion

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, Im interested in setting up a FW aquarium, i was gona start with a SW one (here is my original post http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?p=221632#221632 ) but decided to maybe get a small FW one to get a feel for an aquarium.

Should I get like a small kit (like a minibow) or shold i choose the stuff myself? What all do I need? I got soem magazines I bought at B&N and im reading through them right now so I can learn as much as I can before I take the plunge :lol:

thanks
-Al

The bigger the tank, the easier it is to manage, plus, the more fish you can add!
You will need:
a tank
light
heater
dechlor
substrate
liquid test kit for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate

And probably more that I cannot think of this second :D

maybe go with a 10 gal setup from Petsmart or Walmart? However, if you want to experiment with plants you'll need better lighting than what the kits have (just like coral and other salt water stuff has special lighting needs). Or, you could get a 20, or better yet, a 29 gallon that you could later turn into a beginner's "fish only with live rock" saltwater setup. That may be your best bet.

Do you have any kind of idea on what types of fish you are thinking of starting out with?

btw... WELCOME TO AA!!! :mrgreen:

"Small" starter kits seem to have inferior products (for filter, heater). I would buy everything seperately
try your local bargaintrader (bargaintraderonline.com).. i got a cheap 29 gallon for $50 with filter and heater. I upgraded to better filter and heater and then sold the filter and heater that came with my used system on Ebay :)

ok, ive talked it over w/ my mom and we thinnk we want ot go with sw now lol

A mod can delete this thread if he wants to.

thanks, and sorry

Back
Top Bottom