Setting up a tank- do you need ammonia or can i use stress zym?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Banana mouse

Aquarium Advice Freak
Need a little help, my tropical fish tank has been running for about 4 days now and people have been saying that I should have added something that contains ammonia do I really need to do that? I'm doing a fish less cycle. I added water to the tank and then I put the correct amount of stress coat in the waited a few hours that added stress zyme. Is that right? Someone said I need to add pure ammonia to get it going so have I wasted 4 days? On the second and third and fourth day the water went really cloudy but it's gone now and I know that's a bacteria bloom. So is everything okay or a complete wast if time?

A complete waste of time. You need to add ammonia and that is the one and ONLY way to the cycle started. The bacteria needed for the cycle feeds on ammonia and without it none will develop

If it was a wast of time then why did the water go really cloudy?

You could use fish food although that will probably breed planeria in there for the time being harmless to fish and actually a source of food for them once added. I just use industrial grade ammonia and dose with that, 55 gallons only needs about 10ml to be brought up to 4ppm which is where I dose to so that once I'm cycled I can just add all my fish at once.

How often should I add it to the tank? Everyday every other day? Also should I add more because I have about 16 plants and I'm planing on adding another 15 in the next two weeks

That's good thanks, firstly because nothing has happened to my tank since Friday should I do a water change? And let the tank stand over night with stress coat then tomorrow morning add the pure ammonia and bacteria? (stress zyme)

Also could you recommend a brand, I know it's got to be 100% ammonia but I'd rather buy a brand that has been used before and know it works

If your in the US, google the Ace Hardware Store locator & see if theres one in your area. They carry Ace Hardware 10% janitorial strength ammonia. Its also on amazon plus bunch other brands. If not, Dollar Tree stores sometimes carry usuable ammonia. It should be plain ammonium hydroxide & water with nothing else (ie, dyes, surfectants, fragrances, etc). Bit harder to find than you may realize! Good tip on shaking the bottle- if it foams, skip it. Dont waste your time at Home depot/loews etc. :)

Okay I'll get some first thing tomorrow :) should I do a 30% water change to freshen the water? And add another load of stress zyme tomorrow?

I dont believe the stress zyme does anything but your welcome to add it. A water change really isnt necessary unless you want the practice. :)

If all the bacteria in my tank is dead how will I get it back in? I don't know anyone who has a tank. How about a buy a load of plants? About 12?

Plants are a great idea! If you do a search on here, you will find some threads that cover a 'silent cycle' (cycling with tons of plants). Also, you can purchase cycled 'active' filters from Angelsplus. Many members have had success using these filters. Just make sure its a filter labeled 'active' or you will just be getting a plain, new filter.

Sponge Filters for aquariums

You would need a huge amount of dead, rotting plants to provide a source of ammonia for your bacteria. I would try to avoid this because your tank will become a vile, stinky mess. :)

Back
Top Bottom