Setting up my Crab tank and need some help! :D

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Welsh

Aquarium Advice Freak
I am finally setting up my aquaterrarium crab tank;for my new vampire crab. I have been reading loads this last week, trying to find the right set up for my little fella; who is in fact a girl :/ but each article and webpage contradicts the next and i'm still no wiser as to what these little guys need. So I figured I would ask here, as you've always helped with my previous issues :D

I have a 10 gallon tank; apparently enough space for 2, from what I have read.
I have a heater and an aqua flow filter.
Gravel and Play sand

I'm ordering a Hygrometer and Condensation tray. I'm hoping the condensation tray will help keep the tank humid enough but i'm not sure if it will.

Basically, I was planning on setting up the tank as play sand and gravel but I'm not sure whether play sand is suitable for crabs. If not I know they prefer dirt but I have no idea what type of dirt to get. Will any old dirt do? Compost etc, or do they have a specific type that they need?

I'm also going to get some moss but from reading on the net, people have used moss such as java,etc but also moss from their gardens. Surely taking moss off my wall, is not good for the crab?

I think this is all for now, I'm sure I can think of some more questions though :p

Hey Welsh! I'm working on mine this week too so following.

I bet yours will look way better than mine haha Nothing has gone to plan for me lol What are you using, for substrate? I've gone with the play sand and although it looks nice, i'm starting to regret using it as I know how difficult it is to maintain;having used it in my fish tanks before. I've seen a lot of bark; that you often see at parks etc and was wondering whether DIY store bark would be safe to use. What do you reckon?

Well right before I got these crabs I had just finished removing all of the play sand from my tank. I hated it. I'm trying to figure the dirt thing out. Whoever knows first has to tell the other one ;) lol

OK deal! :p Although the amount of research I have done this last week, on vampire crabs and vivariums,etc I should probably know lol. Still trying to figure out how to separate the land and water too :( This vivarium thing, is more difficult than it looks haha

I have too many projects going on at once or I'd have more figured out on this by now :puppydogeyes: I need to learn to finish one before I start another! lol :roll:

This is what I've come up with so far. I quite like the setup but I'm not keen on the water level, mainly because I can't see in to the tank because of the condensation on the glass lol. It still needs some work; a lot of work but it will do for now lol Bella seems to like it :D Any suggestions though on improvement, etc feel free to let me know :D

Attachments

• IMG00768-20110420-1633.jpg
    IMG00768-20110420-1633.jpg
    207.4 KB · Views: 102
  • IMG00769-20110420-1635.jpg
    IMG00769-20110420-1635.jpg
    217 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG00770-20110420-1635.jpg
    IMG00770-20110420-1635.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 93
Back
Top Bottom