Setting up my first FW tank (40 Gal)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

-=Jeff=-

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello,

My son (3 yrs) wanted an aquarium for Christmas this year. Well I happened to get a 40 Gal Tank (external dimensions 48x16x12.5 inches). I also got the Hood w/light and the stand.

We stopped at Petco last night just to see some of what is available.

Now, I need get all the stuff to get it running. My friend I got my tank from has a 55 Gal, and mentioned the Penguin Bio-wheel Filter.

After looking at posts here and seeing that mentioned I think I will go that route But which one will I need? I assume a Heater is required too..

is the Bio-wheel filter all that is needed to cycle the water? I don't want to buy stuff that is not needed but I also don't want to skimp on things either.

When I was a kid (around 8 yrs old) our family had a 10 Gal tank, but after reading stuff here I think that tank had more fish then it was suppose to. I remember having guppies and neon tetras I believe

As for Fish I am not really sure what to get, I think a nice community tank would be good with some variety, but that will be determined after I get the tank set up.

I also noticed mention of a QT tank, I have the old 10 Gal from when I was a kid but I would need to be sure it does not leak.

So any help in getting started and getting the equipment for the tank would be helpful

Jeff

Welcome to AA Jeff!

which one will I need?
I would suggest the Penguin 350B. The bio-wheels are a plus because it gives more surface area for the bacteria to cling to. You shouldn't need any additional filtration.

I assume a Heater is required too..
That depends, if you are looking for tropicals, then yes. But if you are wanting coldwater fish, then no. But it appears that you are wanting tropicals. You'll want a 200 Watt heater. I like the Stealth because it's submersible and isn't glass. It won't break like the standard glass ones do. And, it is easy to hide since its black.

I also noticed mention of a QT tank

QTs are good because if you bring fish home from the lfs that may have diseases, it won't infect your tank. As long as the 10 gal tank that you have doesn't leak, it will work. All you need is the tank, a heater, and filter.

Your options of equipment is up to you, I just linked my favorites that have worked great for me. A sponge filter can also be used for the QT, but I prefer the internal because I can put it in my 150 without it being noticed and its ready to be put on the QT already cycled.

HTH

Excellent info thanks.. I want not sure on the sizes of things but that helps.. Those prices are good too.. I will be ordering that stuff this week..

Big Al's is a very good company to purchase from. If you purchase on Wednesday you receive double points. Points accumulate into discounts.

I'm not sure if Big Als has that too but IMO some BIO Spira would be good (try to find it over search function in this forum). Kids can be impatient and it will take about a month otherwise to cycle the aquarium before you can put any fish in it.
To cycle a tank means to give something in the tank that is waste and bacteria can build up that prevent the waste (also fishwaste, fishfood) from getting toxic for the fish. Every tank has to be cycled. Bio Spira can do that in no time, it's pretty much the only thing that works, because it has live bacteria cultures in it (therefore needs to be kept cool).
Look here for cycle: http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Here's a small list of what you might need:
gravel, thermometer (check temperature), fishnet, fishfood, backgroundfoil (for looks - cheap), plastic plants - better, some low light real plants (ask if interested), light, bucket (water change), algae scaper/magnet (for glass).

For the community tank I would say maybe:
a group of cory cats,
a pair of dwarf gouramis (or some other gourami),
a pair of Kribensis (great colors),
some Endler's Livebearer (get live babies, great colors),
some shrimp (interesting to watch)

Tiffi said:
Here's a small list of what you might need:
gravel, thermometer (check temperature), fishnet, fishfood, backgroundfoil (for looks - cheap), plastic plants - better, some low light real plants (ask if interested), light, bucket (water change), algae scaper/magnet (for glass).

For the community tank I would say maybe:
a group of cory cats,
a pair of dwarf gouramis (or some other gourami),
a pair of Kribensis (great colors),
some Endler's Livebearer (get live babies, great colors),
some shrimp (interesting to watch)

Thanks for the tips.. I have a Hood and light, the light is a 48" Flouresent, is this okay or?

I have a background but don't like it (came with tank) so I will change it..
I also assume you mean algae Scraper instead of Scaper, if not I am not sure what that is.

I like that list os fish you suggest, although those names are greek to me.. LOL I am a car guy so fish types are a foreign language, but I will soon learn them.

There are some excellent articles on this site for those starting out

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

And I recommend picking up a fish encyclopedia....my personal favorite is The Aquarium Fish Handbook so your son can look at the pictures, read the info, and decide which fish he really likes. If you can figure out what you want before you go to the store it's much easier. Plus it will give you and your son a real feel for which fish are compatible, how big they will eventually grow, and what not. Figure out which fish are "must haves" and then build around those.

My son really enjoys looking up the different fish and we always bring the book to the store with us in case we have to look up something we are unsure of. It's really helpful with young boys who tend to visit the store and immediately decide they want a school of bala sharks.........and maybe some pacu 8O And, unless you know them, I wouldn't put much stock in what the employees at the store have to say.

talloulou said:
There are some excellent articles on this site for those starting out

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showfaq.php?fldAuto=2

And I recommend picking up a fish encyclopedia....my personal favorite is The Aquarium Fish Handbook so your son can look at the pictures, read the info, and decide which fish he really likes. If you can figure out what you want before you go to the store it's much easier. Plus it will give you and your son a real feel for which fish are compatible, how big they will eventually grow, and what not. Figure out which fish are "must haves" and then build around those.

My son really enjoys looking up the different fish and we always bring the book to the store with us in case we have to look up something we are unsure of. It's really helpful with young boys who tend to visit the store and immediately decide they want a school of bala sharks.........and maybe some pacu 8O And, unless you know them, I wouldn't put much stock in what the employees at the store have to say.

Yeah I saw that page in our link the other day.. I was reading so much I over did it. As of right now my son wants Blue gravel.. I am thinking blue and black mixed..

I also have been debating on live plants too, but have not read about that yet. I still need to clean out the tank..

Your gravel can be as deep as you want it. If you want it 1 inch, thats fine. If you want it 8 inches, thats fine too, you just can't keep as many fish. :D

If the light strip sits ontop of the tank, then its exactly what you need.

Back
Top Bottom