Setting Up my Mr.Aqua 12Gallon Long. Need advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mayhariu

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello! I am looking to set up a planted Mr.Aqua 12 gallon long tank. It is going to be situated in front of a large window. I will be keeping close watch on the temperature as well as managing the algae growth. However, I would like some suggestions with the overall tank set-up.

The Squirmy Things:

I plan to have cherry shrimp, 2-3 African Dwarf Frogs, and either a few small corydoras/algae eaters whichever will get the job done.

With that in mind, my main is algae destroyer will be some sort of good algae eater. What are some suggestions?

Filter:
I have purchased and AquaClear 20G filter, as it uses a block filter which I love(I will also consider a better block filter if suggested. No canisters though ]: ). It also has good reviews. However, reading on forums months back(when I bought the tank), flow was an issue for many people. Most opted for a spray bar. Instead, I picked up two 10" TopFin Bubble Wall thin tubes that situate themselves along the bottom of the tank. So the air bubbles are traveling up and instead of the water dropping like a waterfall into the tank.
Is this effectively the same thing? Or will this cause too much disturbance for the inhabitants and I should go with a spray bar instead? I haven't set anything up so I'm not entirely sure how strong these bars are, but they're very narrow.

Lighting: Natural Sunlight

Plants: Going for an Iwagumi style(grassy, rocks, natural landscape). Optimally I would love to grow a dwarf hair grass carpet, or cuba moss carpet but I've never had luck with either in previous tanks. However, I didn't have the greatest lighting set-up before (Fluval Edge 6G) so that may be why. I was also periodically dosing the plants with Flourish but then found out it wasn't healthy for the particular species I was keeping- so I stopped.

Aside from that what other plants would be good? They can't be crazy growers and preferably something the algae eaters(whatever they may be) will particularly like, along with the shrimp and frogs.

Lid: I searched for a lid for this tank but seeing as it's meant as an open top tank, there isn't one. So, alas, I shall make my own. This is because my roommate has some adventurous one year old kittens. Adorable. But evil.

So, I'm thinking of getting an aluminum screen protector(basically aluminum mesh) because the kittens will likely rip the soft mesh stuff. A half-inch rim made of wood and have it grooved in the center all sides, so the lid sits snugly onto the rim of the tank so the cats can't knock it off.
However, I'm open for other suggestions as I'm truly not sure what is best. I don't want something suuuuper chunky and distracting looking.

I believe that's all. Please add any additional issues I may have missed and any suggestions.
Thank you so much! :D

Frogs will probably eat the shrimp unless they frogs are super small but they will eat tiny shrimp. The frogs may also mess up your aquascaping. Aquaclear filters are very good. And all the parts can be replaced and found on Amazon

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The frogs are very tiny, and practically blind. They wouldn't be able to eat the shrimp who are probably...1/4 their body size hahaha. The frogs have tiny mouths.

For a grassy look I would recommend dwarf sag, assuming the tank doesn't get much more than low-light. otos would make good algae eaters for this tank

Back
Top Bottom