Setting up new tank with new filter on established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lbirath001

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys,

My current tank is a 60 gallon African/South American Cichlid tank. I am finally able to move into my next step with splitting the two species up. I have a 75 gallon which I traded for and will be putting the Africans in there. I just purchased an Eheim 2217 canister filter. The filter works for up to 160 gallons which I think is sufficient for the 75. Agree? I am currently running it on my 60 gallon in order to build up the beneficial bacteria. How long should I run it on my 60 gallon? When I transfer it to the 75 gallon, I should be able to start placing my Africans directly into the tank. (as long as I have the temp and parameters the same)

What do you guys think??? :thanks::banghead:

Ideally at least a couple of weeks. Instead you could also pull some media from the established filter and put it into the new one to help seed it. It probably won't instantly cycle it for the fish load but it may help. Then proceed with a fish-in cycle with the new tank (test water daily and do water changes as needed until the bacteria catch up); if you remove media from the current tank I would also test that one for a week or so to make sure you don't get any temporary toxin spikes from removing media (if so just do some extra water changes). It's up to you if you want to wait though. Even if you wait a couple of weeks to seed the new filter I would still test the new tank daily when you move it all over just to make sure everything is ok.

Back
Top Bottom