Shoaling question tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ouida404

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just introduced myself last week after setting up a 75g tank. The first fish I wanted was the cardinal neon tetras. But I ended up with a mix of tetras he had left. He told me not to worry about getting one type that most all tetras will shoal (I think that's how you say it). So I got 3 black neons, 3 cherry barbs (I think), and one very lonely Buenos Aires (I think). I added I picture, as those are my guesses.
So now my question is: they do not shoal together, so if I get more of the same will they form a group, or will they stay apart??? I've had them for a week and they are very healthy, but I hate seeing the one all alone:(

Attachments

• 1420256048807.jpg
    1420256048807.jpg
    159.9 KB · Views: 98
Ok from the lack of responses, I'm guessing this is a sily question. But reading various articles, I found that some fish form a ranking within the group and will not always accept each other if more fish are added later. But I could not find this information on just tetras. I also don't know for sure what tetras I have, except the black neons, so was hoping someone could ID them too. Please:)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

The cherry barbs are not a tetra. You only have 3 of each in a 75 gallon tank so your probably not going to see the shoaling or schooling behavior. I would say build up the school of one of the types.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so no problem adding more of the same type?? And do you have any idea what is the fish at the top of the bag? I think it's a Buenos aires, but that's a total guess. It has a red tail fin with a small black dot, and a stripe like a neon would. Ps: anyone looking for a small fish, those cherry barbs are totally fun to watch, and not at all shy.

I would rehome them all, and then get the cardinals when they have some.

Fishobsessed7

If you like them add more.

Cherry Barbs are great fish. Just don't buy only males. Females are bronze with red fins. I would aim for twice as many females as males.

Black Neons are similar sized.

The fish at the top is a WCMM. White Clouds like cooler water. I would return that one.

Cardinals and Neon Tetras are two separate species. Cardinals get slightly bigger and the red runs the length of their body. Both are nice.

If you really want a group of Cardinals I would get them.

Tetras prefer softer water. Planted tanks with driftwood are great. Floating plants help dim the light a bit. Which they like.

Black sand with a dark background and green plants will really make the fishes' colors pop.

Feed live or frozen Brine Shrimp. Feed frozen Bloodworms as well as a quality color flake like Omega One.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

tetras are not the best fish to put in a new tank barbs are better but if there doing ok after a few weeks all is good I prefer the look of the cardinals better than the neons I would have at leat 6 of each kind the more the better you can easierly put 75 fish thatb size in the tank just don't add any cichlids even angels or you might lose some < I have a wimpy angel that does not bother my small barbs but he will not eat any live food
I would add a few yo yo loachs to help keep the tank clean and a bristle nose pleco

Oh thank you for the replies:) so that's a white cloud, that was my second guess, lol. It's so difficult in the pet store to come out with just what you wanted. He is a small pet store, but I hate supporting pet smart, which is a drive anyway.
What he said last week is he gets mollies, angels, tetras (but no neons), said he could get sword tails, and most everything else was gold fish, guppies, and bigger fish. I just went thru a big fish that ate everybody. It was not peaceful. I just want smaller fish that are active. I really love the cherry barbs. Anyway I will about the white cloud as if he's too warm I may setup a 10g for him. Would he need any heater? Thanks.

I have a mixed community of tetras, about 5-7 each of 5 varieties plus 7 harlequin rasboras. The tank has two huge pieces of bog wood and loads of plants. The fish sort of hang around with their own species some of the time but I wouldn't call it shoaling. Mixing fish is always a little trial and error depending on your decor etc. In an open plan tank I think my fish would adopt a pecking order but with so many swimming routes and places to chill out they seem to all get along well. I did have silver tip tetras and they were just too lively for the tank and upset the balance. I rehomed them and harmony resumed.
I have always stayed clear of mixing barbs and tetras as I feel barbs are too bullish for the quieter tetras but that's just my thoughts, not based on fact.
I would add that Cardinal tetras, in my experience, are one of the hardest tetras to keep. They can be very fussy about the water parameters. I plumped for diamond neons, they have a blue head and eye and a vivid rear and tail. Very eye catching and seem to be quite hardy. Standard neon tetras have been overbred and there are many weak strains on the market. Mortality can be high.
Hope that's of some help. Good luck with your tank. Steve.

That is just what the pet store guy said that the Cardinals and neons don't do well. They are a favorite, but I don't want problems either. The barbs are very active and the black neons much calmer. It's a big tank, but no live plants. So would some rainbows get alone with the barbs?? I know they are active, and the tank has two power heads and a filter so there's a current. Which I think they like. The yo yo loaches looked very cool but semi-aggessive. Would the barbs be ok??? Thanks for all the help.

tetras are not the best fish to put in a new tank

Depends on the species. The Black Neons that the OP has are rather hardy and will do fine in a new tank, provided that it's at least cycled. Same goes for Black Skirts, Bloodfins, and Lemons.

white clouds don't need a heater as long as the water does not freeze they come from the mountains of china and live in cool temps they are not tropical fish they are also very easy to breed and many people use them for feeders , there very colorful fish if given proper food and living conditions

Ok I will likely move the white cloud to my daughters tank, it's not heated, but room temp.

Also I'm sorry to repeat but would the yo yo loaches be too aggressive? Or maybe a different bottom feeder. And would the rainbows be a good idea? The pet store did say he could order a few things, but I didn't ask what.

I don't know too much about the topic, but for what's it's worth I had 5 neons for about 3 months in a 10 gallon, moved them into a 20 and introduced 5 more, then introduced 3 more when I moved them all into a 46 and they all school around together

YoYos may be too aggressive ?

I would do a nice group of Cories.
http://youtu.be/tPOvOije4vQ

Have large groups of the two you already have.

Rainbows ? Dwarf Neon Rainbows might work. The hit 3". The common problems that people have with rainbows is they are very fast fish and sometimes outcompete the other fish for food. But these could be a good choice. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+886+1059&pcatid=1059

For really stunning display fish one of my favorites would be a Pearl Gourami. They are the most peaceful of the large Gouramis. http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=830+2855+966&pcatid=966

But if you pick a Gourami I would not add rainbows.

The pearl gourami would be very nice. Following the advice here, I will hope to get some more cherry barbs first, as I really like those. As for the cories I have natural pea gravel on the bottom, I wonder if that may bother them, as that's another one I really like. I'm just happy I found such an active forum:) thanks again for all the help.

Back
Top Bottom