Should a newbie consider trying cichlids??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AngelThoughts

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I am new to the fish hobby... I don't really think that my lil 5g with a couple of platies in it counts as a challenging tank I've had them a couple of months...no problems (knock on wood).
Here is my situation. I recently bought a 36g bowfront tank and it is set up but has no water in it yet. I really haven't decided what I want to put in it. I WAS going to just do some gouramis or something but then I saw a few cichlid tanks around here and on other sites and thought they were sooo much more striking. I also noticed a bit more challenging (which I have time for and don't mind working on. But then my tank may be too small most people I've seen with any sort of cichlids seem to have at LEAST 55g.
I am also intimidated to actually get any being the newbie that I am. Would you recommend to stick to regular old community freshwater fish or to try a cichlid tank?
Are there some good sites you would reccomend where I can read up on this family of fish and that might have some good resources for me to do research on the care etc? Thanks in advance.

What type of cichlids were you considering? I run an African Rift Lake Cichlid tank. This is my first tank in about 8 years. I just did a lot of research and then started it.

A big tank isn't necessarily what you need, it depends on the type of fish you want to run. There are a type of cichlid that are shell dwellers, aka shellies. They are commonly kept in 10 gal tanks although they are a lot cooler when in a larger environment.

The easiest way to do research is to go to your lfs and see what fish you like, then do a google seach for them and write down their specific needs. Find out which fish compliment each other and then go for it.

I think that there are a number of cichlids that are great fish for 'newbies' to start with. A lot depends on what 'flavor' of cichlids you're talking about. Are you most interested in the African Rift Lake cichlids? These are tough, durable fish but have very specific water requirements for proper health (alkaline and hard water).

Good non-Rift Lake cichlids for 'newbies' would be:

'Kribensis' (Pelvicachromis pulcher) and similar species - these are very colorful African river cichlids that remain relatively small. They can be aggressive, especially the males, and get especially testy during breeding time. You could house a breeding pair in your 36 gallon tank. Tankmates must be able to take care of themselves.

South/Central American dwarf cichlids (Microgeophagus, Apistogramma, etc.) are also very suitable for a tank like yours. Like all cichlids these can get territorial and aggressive, especially when you have a breeding pair. 'Rams' are commonly available dwarf cichlids but are a bit sensitive to water conditions. Some people have great success with them but other folks are driven to despair. Keyhole Cichlids are another of this group that are suitable. They are gentle, almost to the point of shyness.

Angelfish (Pterophyllum scalare) are also a commonly kept cichlid. You could house a gorgeous pair of these in your 36 gallon tank.

There are a number of cichlid-oriented web sites out there. http://www.cichlids.com is a good starting point.

You could do well with a couple of firemouths and maybe a couple of convicts. Shellies are fun also.

maybe a couple of convicts
I had a mated pair of convicts in my 55. One word of caution if you go with them. They will harass or kill any other fish you have while they are protecting their young fry. They will also dig multiple pits in the gravel where they herd the fry. They took over my entire 55 gal tank. It is pretty cool to watch and I'm sure some other chiclids do the same thing, but these fish are down right mean when they are protecting their young.

Cichlids are great, I currently have three tanks--a brichardi breeding tank, a shellie tank and a Lake Malawi Mbuna tank. They all excavate and are fun to watch (okay, actually I find my shellies dull). I also have Apistos and Rams in my community tank.
The key to cichlids is researching and asking knowledgable people. I have found many LFS employees are not knowledgable about all cichlids, whcih has led to disastrous problems in my tanks.

As long as a person is willing to put in the extra work that is required, a beginner can do a cichlid tank. Just realize that a lot of cichlids need very clean water, so skipping water changes is not really an option. The equipment needed can be slightly different. Cichlids are generally more "messy" than other fish, and need higher levels of filtration. Also, they can be demanding and challenging--my mbuna tank is on the verge of social collapse, as one of the more aggressive fish is maturing and deciding he doesn't like any other fish in his territory (which to him means the whole tank). On the other hand, when things are going smoothly it is very rewarding. Basically, to echo what others have already said, research, research, research (and don't stop when you get the fish, either :wink: )

There are a TON of cichlids out there; some are really challenging and prob not the best fish to start with, but there are plenty out there which are easy to work with.

I keep angelfish, rams and keyhole cichlids. All my guys are South American cichlids (I prefer them to the Africans) and my tap water is more suitable to SAs anyway - low pH, soft water. Knowing what type of water you have to work with will help decide which type of cichlids would work better for you. Its easier to do fish that would be comfortable with your water type then to have to mess with water parameters.

I actually started off with angelfish. And I knew squat LOL I *looks embarassed* cycled my first tank with 2 angels and a pleco. I still have one of the original angels (he killed the other 6 months down the road), and he is my breeding male.

Back
Top Bottom