Should I do a water Change???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flames9

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Ok heres the scoop. Bought 10 gallon tank about a month. It sat for 5 days with no fish or lie plants. Water temp is 78. Then on 5th day purchased Bio spira and 2 guppies. All is good. Male guppy is driving female guppy nutz, so we decide to buy 2 more female guppies and 2 corys and added in some more bio spira. All is going well. I have done a few water changes since then, some 25% a few 50% water changes. Water readings seem al within range, Nitrites 0,nitartes 0, ph 7 and ammonia is usually less than .5.

Ok, so checked water readings yesterday and just now and they are about the same. PH is a tad over 7, Nitrites are approx .5 nitrates approx 10 and ammonia approx .5 Should I do a 50% water change?? I read some where as well,that when using bio spira one shouldnt vacuum the gravel for 2 months?? Is that true?? Any help would be great. I do have more Bio spira in the fridge if I need to add more, and for water conditioner I have been using aqua safe to treat the water. I meant to purchuse Amquel, but i picked up a bottle of aqua plus by mistake so will return that!! Any help would be great. thanks. Scott

you shouldn't accept any ammonia unless your tank is cycling. Is it still cycling?

To tel you the truth I dont know if it has ever cycled!! Always been a bit of ammonia but the nitrites and nitrates were always zero, even with the fish!! Yesterday was first time seeing levels of nitrites and nitrates!! Well I guess I better do a 50% water change!!. Thanks

Whenever in doubt, do a water change. It's simple, easy, and helps your fish in lots of ways!

Heck, even if you're not in doubt, do a water change! :D

Back
Top Bottom