Should i get gravel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mkeuper6361

Aquarium Advice Regular
Want some gravel for my tank but I don't know if I should or not. Could someone please list me the pros and cons of gravel. Or why or why not I should get it? Thanks in advance!

Thats all i ever use so i can just say why i like it. I think it looks better. Ive heard that its easier for plants to root in gravel then sand and gravel allows the roots to breath. Using sand ive heard that methane gas can be created under the substrate and can be harmful to the fish. Rivercats can give you a lot more education on the sand.

Bacteria grow on the gravel pretty well. I have sand and grvael personally I prrfer a black gravel than sand. No matter how much you clean the sand. If any fish touch or swim too close to the bottom some merkyness will happenm id go with gravel

I love my sand tanks I swapped out the gravel in my 55 just because I love the sand look. The methane gas tale is really ridiculous. All you do is run your hand through the sand during a water change and its fine or buy Malaysian trumpet snails.

Also sand does but cause murkiness when a fish swims by it. Just make sure it is rinsed extremely well and you will only have heavy particles left and if a fish stirs them up the particles sink instantly.

The other pro of sand is its honestly easier to ram than gravel all the crap and food is right on too so you just go buy with your vacuum and suck everything right up.

Back
Top Bottom