should i just start over?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

scarlett

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello...I NEED HELP!!!! I have had my tank for 2 weeks it is 33gallons. I put 25 goldfish in to cycle( i now know that this was too many ) I had tow goldfish that survived the whole 2 weeks. i did add a blue lobster about 1 week ago. yesterday my lobster died and then today my last 2 goldfish died. should i just take all the water out and star over? please help me.

Hi scarlett, welcome to the hobby and AA!!!

I'm sad to say that you might want to do just that. The good news is you can learn from your mistakes and do it right this time round. Your fish died because they were poisoned by the high ammonia and nitrite levels. I'm assuming you used feeder goldfish, which are usually prone to parasites and other diseases that you don't want to introduce to your fish when you get them. Even though the fish may have been removed, you may still have disease cysts/spores in the gravel that will lie in wait till the conditions are right for it to flourish.

First of all, read this article.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=21

Next, read this article.
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/showquestion.php?faq=2&fldAuto=15

Now, go buy yourself a good test kit like the Aquarium Pharmaceuticals Master Test Kit. If you have more money than time, go get some BioSpira to cycle your tank WITH FISH in the tank. If you have more time than money, get yourself some Pure Ammonia from ACE hardware and do the fishless cycle BEFORE adding fish.

You probably have some reading ahead of you. Folks here will be happy to help you through the process, so fire away with the questions!

Good luck!

I, too, would say that you should start over. What you experienced is very common to newbies. Heck, I did the same thing. I'd empty the tank, clean all of the decor with very hot water, clean the filter, and start fresh. As bzbee said, start with a fishless cycle or try bio-spira. This product is great for jumpstarting a cycle. When you have questions, post away on this site. The lfs isnt exactly a great resource. We are all here to help you. :D

Hi Scarlett...you need not feel bad. I've been there myself as well. If only I knew about AA when I was just beginning, I could have avoided the castrophe that my 30 gal tank suffered.

Now that you're on the right track, the suggestions that bzbee made are worthwhile and let me also suggest patience...this hobby is time consuming in the beginning but so worthwhile when everything falls into place.

I second what fishyfinatic said.My fish made it through the cycle thank the lord but it was not easy for them.Please try a fishless cycle this time.It is much better tham using real fish.The poor things suffer through a cycle.I wish I knew about the cycle process when I started.You have a chance now to do it the right way. Good luck and take all the advice you can get from these pro's at aquarium advice. :D

I would start over too, and if you are don't want to do the fishless cycle, figure out what type of fish you wish to have and keep forever and start out with 1-2 of the hardiest fish on your list. Do partial water changes every few days while the cycle is going on.

Here is a website that lists some fish that are known to be "hardy" and survive the cycling process

http://www.reefpros.com/articles/fishcyclefw.shtml

Other than water conditioner, I personally don't add any type of chemicals to my tank water. If youi stock slowly and do the water changes I think you should be fine.

well since you already have the cycle started, why would you want to start over?About the same thing happened to me, i bought about 20 fish to cycle my tank, but my Ammonia just wouldn't go down, when i had lost all but about 2 zebra danios, my tank finally cycled.
You could go get a raw shrimp from the grocery store and throw that in to finish the cycle, in the meantime, get a test kit and test for Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate. I would say since you've already got it started, you may be close to the end of your cycle,Im sure you've already got some good bacteria growing in there, and i don't see any reason to get rid of that. i wouldn't start over, go ahead and finish the job, if you start over its just going to take twice as long. You've probably got the ammonia and maybe some nitrite in your water and that's whats needed to cycle.

The only reason I agree with starting over is in case all those goldfish left some funk disease behind. It would stink to have the tank all cycled, buy new fish, and then have diseases start cropping up. But it might be worth the risk if the tanks is close to being cycled. Just be sure to do a major water change before adding new fish then cross fingers and hope for the best.

I personally wouldn't risk putting fish in that tank. I would throw a bunch of bleach in to sterilize the tank and all the equipment. I always sterilize a tank wwhen starting over. If the tank is small I may run it through the dish washer (especially show tanks and drum bowls). The disease/ parasite possibility is too great in this instance to take a chance. I have never cycled a tank. I don't have the patience to wait for weeks. Three weeks ago I bought a bag of 7 heros sp. "Rotkeil" (read expensive) and put them in a sterile 35 gal tank, withwater that was added 2 hours before, with a homemade sponge filter that had spent 10 hours in an angel tank. The fish have food in front of them for 24 hours most days (daphnia), because I have it now and I want them to grow as fast as possible. Every couple of days i change about half the water. So far, they have grown about 1/2" and are doing great. At some point the tank will cycle, but I won't know when. I do know that if I keep up the water changes it won't matter. This is in no way meant to impugn the need for or desirability of a complete nitrogen cycle. However, we don't always have the luxury of being able to wait for things to happen. I personally don't have the patience, and would rather do water changes, as I know it works. This is just my opinion, so please, don't take it as a slight to those of you who have the time and patience to do the fishless cycle, or the slow cycle, because I'm not questioning the science behind it.

At some point the tank will cycle, but I won't know when. I do know that if I keep up the water changes it won't matter

While the water changes will help to reduce the ammonia and nitrites, they will still be damaged by even a small amount, a small amount of ammonia can cause permanent damage to the fish gills.

The only reason I agree with starting over is in case all those goldfish left some funk disease behind.

Yes, i didn't think about what diseases they may have left behind, and i know those feeder fish carry some pretty nasty stuff, for that reason, i guess it would be a good idea to start over!

I have started over and decided to do the fishless cycle....not really sure how this works but i think that I will figure it out...If u have any advice It would be greatly appreciated.

You can either get a piece of raw shrimp and toss it in the tank, OR, use pure ammonia. Whichever is easier for you to get ahold of, let us know.

Back
Top Bottom